Defrost Problem

I have A GE side by side refrige model GSH22KGMC WW that the defrost cycle doesn't work . It frosts up after about every 2 weeks and I manually defrost and all works great. I've looked for a defrost timer and can't find one in the refrige.. I would like to know if the defrost timer is part of the primary circuit board accessed from the back of the refridge? Is the defrost heater and defrost thermostat accesed from the panel at the rear of the freezer compartment? I assume it is probably one of these parts and would like to know how to test which is the problem. Thanks for the help if someone can. Garyf

Reply to
garyf

Might try something simple first like vacuuming out all the dust bunnies from the machinery under the bottom of the fridge. If that doesn't work, GE has a pretty good parts/service operation, and of course there's always repairclinic.com and otrher similar sites. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I've looked for a defrost timer

CY: if it's a mechanical timer, it's probably in the box with the control knobs.

I would like to know if the defrost

back of

CY: Some newer fridges have a board, others use a mechanical timer.

Is the defrost heater and defrost thermostat accesed from

CY: Yes, and the freezeer section is usually narrow. Makes for some strange twisting and bending to get at it.

I assume it is

which is

CY: You can wait till it's frozen. manually advance a mechanical timer, and then check the current draw. Five amps is about right for a defrost heater. If it's not drawing five amps, very often the heater and termination thermostat are replaced together.

CY: Y'welcome.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

it's a mechanical timer, it's probably in the box with the

board accessed from the

rear of the freezer compartment?CY: Yes, and the freezeer section is usually narrow. Makes for

Reply to
garyf