Damp Proofing Brick Foundation

I'm trying to damp proof my brick foundation. The method that was recommended was to coat the below grade part with roofing cement and stick on a continuous sheet of 4 mil poly. I'm also doing a perforated drain pipe and gravel. Does this sound like a sound method?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Dave M

Seems to work pretty well on concrete block from what I've seen. Ought to do about as well on brick. Getting the asphalt to stick on the brick will require some finesse. Some contractors in our area have spray equipment. Doubling up on the 4 mil won't add much to the price and might be cheap insurance to accomplish what you are trying to do. HTH.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

The roofing cement should stick, that stuff will stick to anything it seems

Mike

Reply to
Dave M

"Dave M" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Keep in mind that what you proposing is not the way tho keep water out of the foundation. Dampproofing is not waterproofing.

Reply to
who

While I could be wrong, I believe there is a difference between roofing cement and the mastic used to waterproof foundations. There are several different systems available depending on the conditions and needs. I suggest you check with local contractors to determine what works well in your area.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan