Cutting vinyl Siding

I have some vinyl to trim I need to shorten it about a 1/4 of an inch for expansion, can this vinyl be trimmed with a sharp pair of tin snips? Or is there another idea out there?

I enclosed a picture, its the ceiling of my deck cover, the area that needs to be removed is above the yellow line, there are about 10 panels 12 ft long.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Snips should work just fine. Tom

Reply to
tom

Are you going to take it down to cut it? If so, use a circular saw with a plywood blade turned around backwards. Makes a nice clean cut. If not, tin snips will work, as will a utility knife with a sharp blade. But neither will be as clean a cut as if you took it down. Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I believe you have what is technically called a "pain in the ass" situation. Nothing particularly difficult, but a lot of work to do a little work!

Tin snips will work fine. You don't have to have perfect cuts as the trim will cover the edge anyway.

RicodJour

i wouldn't trim it until expansion proved it necessary.. a lot of that expansion talk is simple precautionary.

Reply to
longshot

twfsa,

Take down the trim. Get a small cutter, like a dremel tool. Go slow so you don't melt the siding as you cut it. I'd favor a toothed cutter over a disc.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

If it were not buckeling due to expansion from the heat I would not be taking it down.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa