Cutting holes in interior walls

I'm near Pittsburgh. House built around 1953. We have had tornados lately. I also have basement. I can see where the walls have bent the

10 inch joists down over the years. Another trouble house was built with a main bean of 4 8X2 s. I reinforced that. I'm still leveling.

Greg

*That is a heavy duty wall. I suggest a RotoZip tool with maybe a cement board bit or possibly a diamond bit. For a quick square cut, not-too-accurate of a hole, an angle grinder with a diamond blade will be fast, but dusty. I have a little Makita cordless saw. I can put a 3" diamond blade on it for cuts such as yours. The 9.6 volt battery doesn't last too long though.

The hole saws that RBM suggested are perfect for recessed lights. They are available in several sizes to accommodate different manufacturers. You can also get tungsten carbide hole saws the same size as round electrical boxes. Check McMaster.com

Reply to
John Grabowski

I live in pittsburgh too, the plastrer can be unreal hard.

Because of this I mark the wall and use a drill, first drill holes at corners, then use the bit to drill to drag the bit and connect the holes.

Its not pretty but far less dusty and no constant replacing of blades

Reply to
bob haller

.

The brown paper is the inside. In my old house, was newer, the ceilings had two sheets of drywall with a plaster skin coat, very smooth. The living areas had a texture. I would assume all the walls had two sheets.

Greg

Reply to
zek

That's what my '60s house has - rock lath, brown coat plaster (lotsa little stones to dull blades), and a thin white coat.

I use a DeWalt high speed rotary tool w/circle cutter and carbide bit on ceilings, and either the same tool or my RotoZip w/carbide bit to freehand the wall outlets - always using a shop vac close to the bit to minimize dust.

Bob(but not THAT Bob)

**I've seen double layer sheetrock done in newer houses. The first layer is nailed and the second layer is glued to the first. It's a clean smooth job with no nail indents
Reply to
RBM

Do you live in the bomb shelter pictured on your home page?

That might explain the walls you have.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had lived accross the street from that shelter. I never went in it.that house cost about 50% more because of constructed. Lightning hit an outside antenna, caused fire in basement. Destroyed some sheets he had drawn for an animation for HBO.. Re did them and it was caalled Alice in the magic bubble. Nations first fallout shelter for a residence.

Greg

Reply to
zek

Thanks again. I guess that means it is what RBM suggested -- at least for the walls --- rock lath plaster.

Looks like for the walls they nailed the drywall to the studs, then did a "brown coat" (rough coat) of plaster, then a thin white finish coat of plaster. And I guess for the ceilings it was easier and lighter to just do two layers of drywall and then a finish coat of white plaster.

At least now if I ever run into the same thing you have I'll know what it is.

Reply to
RogerT