Cutting hardwood around fireplace hearth - what power tool?

Hi...I have to replace some hardwood floors in an older home. The Fireplace hearth is sitting on top of the hardwood floors, meaning that pieces of hardwood extend in under the hearth/fireplace.

What is the best approach to cutting the hardwood away from the hearth? I guess what I am asking is what is the best tool to use that will cause the least amount of damage to the hearth. The hearth is oak.

Thanks,

Reply to
RickWeb

An oscillating multifunction tool, such as the Fein Multimaster (expensive) or one of the similar tools made by Bosch, Rockwell, etc.

RicodJour

On 1/18/2010 11:29 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Don't forget Harbor Freight.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

A cutoff tool. You will have to make a couple of cuts one 1/4 inch away from the hearth, and then a second one after the main floor is removed to get that last 1/4 inch inch.

Reply to
hrhofmann

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4b54b6e8$0$14755$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Yes, they have a $40 oscillating tool. A good tool to see if you like and warrant a more expensive one. When mine dies I'll be getting one of the quality ones mentioned above.

There's also a toekick saw (I've never used or looked into it in detail) which may fit the bill but I bet an oscillating tool would be a lot more useful all around.

Red Green

news:4b54b6e8$0$14755$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Hey! I learned something new! I had no idea WTF a toekick saw was and had to search. I'm sure there are others who were just as puzzled as I.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com: