Cutting Exterior Romex Help!!

What kind of tool do you guys use to cut exterior romex (feeder cable) - the Grey Stuff?? I tried using a standard NM type cutter and it did not work at all. It was a nightmare! That skin is tough!

Reply to
Michael Roback

Utility/pocket/razor knife, then wire strippers (or just the knife if you're a real macho man hardhead type )

Hey, a few of us TRIED to tell you, the .59 Romex stripper isn't made for this stuff. You need to slice the insulation in between the conductors (about 6" worth) then totally strip the last 1/2" or so out on the end. Good luck, keep some Band-Aids handy.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I use(d) (long time now) a standard utility knife. You are right, it

-is- tough. The wire itself is (or was) really stiff too.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Exactly what do you mean by "exterior romex"?

The feeder cable that comes into your house is not ROMEX, it's regular stranded (most likely aluminum) 3 conductor cable. Romex is solid wire that some people use in their house because it's cheap.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

This is Turtle.

I use Electric Wire Cable cutters but you can use a hack saw to cut it with and a very sharp knife to splice it with.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

We tried to warn you.

A utility knife works pretty good. Once you get the PVC cover whittled down to the actual wire insulation, you can use a wire stripper so you don't nick the copper.

(Been a few years since I've used the stuff) Try scoring straight down the middle with a utility knife or box cutter, then grab the bare ground wire with a pair of plairs and pulling it back to tear the cut you just made. Might work; might not; I don't remember.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Small gauge underground feeder cable, also called UF. It looks just like NM-B "Romex" cable, until you try working with it.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Reply to