Curious hugshake

About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other with their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front, and the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic overtones?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think it was something that started on TV, so now everyone has to do it. Fist bumps, high fives, etc. I'm not much of a participant in that stuff, I'm just an old fart traditionalist.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

have they recently travelled to San Francisco?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Steve B wrote the following:

It's just a fad. My hugs with my male friends are two handed with both hands and arms around the back of each other, much like brothers would do. I am heterosexual in case you wondered. I am also married to a female and have fathered 4 kids.

Reply to
willshak

Do you live in the hills? geesh, U R behind the times.

Reply to
FlavorFlav

Dunno. But if I don't know the implications or meanings of a particular ritual, I'm sure as hell not going to participate in it.

Reply to
HeyBub

If you don't have an answer, please don't post. And what's with that stupid clock around your neck?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That is the point. I wanted to identify its origin and meaning before continuing to allow it. I prefer a traditional handshake. The fist pounding and high five is a sign of understanding or a celebration, and they are simple expressions. This ons is bulky, and if you are not expecting it, or familiar with it, you almost want to pull away.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Do you often look for a conspiracy or ulterior motive? You said a couple of buddies started doing it. If you don't trust them or their motives, why are you buddies with them?

Look at it this way - all forms of greeting impart social significance and in many/most cultures also illustrate the social standing between the two people. If your buddies are willing to get in close, they're simply saying they like you a lot - more than just a handshake. It doesn't mean they are trying to get into your pants.

Another way to look at it - harry is against the bro hug. That should be enough to tell you that there's nothing wrong with it.

RicodJour

Unless you have information to the contrary, yes. I assume that Steve B is like most men - slightly repulsive. ;)

RicodJour

Seeing some of Steve's responses, I thought that "friends" knowing he had a heart condition were trying to help do him in ;)

Reply to
Frank

It -was- a "black" thing. Originally intended to place one's hearts together as a gesture of "unity".

Now, it's just ghey. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Do you often look for a conspiracy or ulterior motive? You said a couple of buddies started doing it. If you don't trust them or their motives, why are you buddies with them?

Look at it this way - all forms of greeting impart social significance and in many/most cultures also illustrate the social standing between the two people. If your buddies are willing to get in close, they're simply saying they like you a lot - more than just a handshake. It doesn't mean they are trying to get into your pants.

Another way to look at it - harry is against the bro hug. That should be enough to tell you that there's nothing wrong with it.

I can tell that you have never felt the grasp of a cultist handshake, or are too ignorant to recognize their subtle inquisition as to whether or not you are one of the "secret" members. Your answer has nothing to do with the question.

And who is harry?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Red Green" wrote >> Unless you have information to the contrary, yes. I assume that Steve

Guilty on both counts.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Eh...Sounds a little homophobic to me. In some cultures it's common for male friends to kiss. Remember GW kissing the king of Saudi Arabia?

I've noticed handshakes are not as common. Suits me just fine. I never make any gesture anymore. I say hello and hope that's enough. :-)

Reply to
JimT

I saw that the other day. It perfectly describes one of my friends. The other is a member of a common secret cult. I mentioned it to him, and we had a laugh. I would do almost anything for my good friend. You can fill in the blanks of the things I would not do.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It means you're gay?

Reply to
Larry W

He's afraid he's gay.

Reply to
JimT

"Oren"

And I don't like those dead fish handshakes, nor do I like anything extra that I am SUPPOSED to know what to do and SUPPOSED to understand the meaning thereof.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote

Sorry. Should have interjected :

TO EXPECT ME

between:

I think it very

and

to be able to interpret variations of a common

Steve

Reply to
Steve B