I'm adding a branch circuit to my home. I current have an underground
service entrance (SE) that runs up through my wall to the breaker panel. The
SE is encased in PVC conduit. Because of the proximity of the panel to my
gas line, and the location of all the other branch circuits, the best route
for the branch circuit is down through the bottom of the breaker panel,
crossover the vertical SE conduit, then through a 2x4 framing member, and up
to the attic. Since the Romex will be within 1.25 " of the edge of the 2x4,
I'll be covering that area with a steel plate before sheet-rocking it.
Does anyone know if vertical SE with a horizontal line of Romex crossing it
is within NEC code? I couldn't find a reference. From a safety perspective,
I think I'm OK. I was thinking that there may be a restriction in doing this
because of the magnetic field being produced by the SE feed. Maybe its a
non-issue. Any advice would, as usually, be greatly appreciated.
The real problem is that this device was not installed by a
professional electrician. If you knew what you were doing, it would
work. Obviously you are incapable of doing this yourself, and the
average homeowner should never touch any electrical wiring. Leave it
to the professionals to insure your safety. Besides that, tampering
with electrical things will void your homeowners insurance.
A general rule of thumb is this: A homeowner should only flip light
switches, and plug UL Approved electrical things into outlets. That's
ALL you should do, except to turn off a circuit breaker in an
emergency. You should hire a Union Electrician for all wiring. Hire
an electrician to change light bulbs, and hire an electrician to turn
ON or OFF all circuit breakers in non-emergency situations. Also, if
you have the old fuses instead of breakers, DO NOT touch them even
during an emergency. They are extremely dangerous and can explode if
handled by an inexperienced home owner. Even light bulbs are capable
of exploding and killing people. Thousands of persons die every day
as a result of electricution and fire caused by non-certified people
tampering with electricity. Just last week an entire family
consisting of three adults and seven children died as a result of an
inexperienced homeowner attempting to change a light bulb, which
exploded and released toxic gasses, killing the entire family, and
causing one of the worst fires in U.S. history
Learn not to burn.
Professional Electrical Consultant and Union Certified Electrician
1030 Market St.
Los Angeles, California
My first concern would be that the branch wire is too close
to the wall surface. SE is in conduit. It is well
protected. But I don't understand why that wire does not come
out the top or side of breaker box to go up to attic. IOW a
SE in conduit inside a 2x4 studded wall leaves that wire
exposed; too close to plywood or sheetrock. If really
concerned, you could put that branch circuit inside conduit
where it leaves breaker box and bypasses SE conduit; where it
would be too close to plywood or sheetrock.
Magnetic fields created by SE are completely irrelevant to
human safety issues addressed by code. Those field problems
would only be a concern to things beyond what the code
A good sign is that you appreciate the "1 inch from
sheetrock" requirement. That protection is also important
where wire is between studs.
You have the right attitude. Ignore those who posted
without any useful information.
Dude , If you're for real, you got issues! BaC, This guy is smokin dope or
something. Don't listen to him. Your aware of what you are doin. Your
following the NEC. Your good to go. No issues. As with the previous
response, some people in business for themselves would rather scare you into
hiring them to do the work rather than help a do-it-yourselfer.
Electrical devices _don't_ _care_ whether the installer knows what
they're doing. They're not psychic. All they care about is if they're
wired _correctly_, which is possible, even if only accidentally, by
the totally clueless.
Ah, you're trolling.
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It\'s not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.