Crimp sleeve or alternate ideas...

You telling me the Grubbies don't have a Harley shop within 100 miles? They must put a lot of miles on their pickups hauling their scoots back and forth from the dealer!!! Gotta be a few old bikes in a scrap-pile SOMEWHERE in your corner of Kansas. I know ANYTHING is few and far between in Kansas and Oklahoma - I've driven through both - but there's lots of junk around -at least there was in '76 when I drove down to the Nats in Tulsa - - - A lot of it was on the road disguised as a street rod too - - - -

Mine does, it has 3 of them in fact. They flog everything from chainsaws to lawn mowers to motorbikes to bikes to quad bikes.

On 5/5/2019 6:47 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

Must be different folks in that-there small town, then... :)
I don't think I've seen a bike for sale anywhere in town in the 20 year we've been back...and, come to think of it, not that many kids in town actually have bikes it seems. Maybe the two are somehow related???

As many of the adults here ride bikes as kids.

The flatlands of Kansas are ideal for pedal bikes - not bat for motorbikes either .
On 5/6/2019 7:57 AM, Clare Snyder wrote: ...

Dirt roads and goatheads pretty much play havoc...
Those that ride cross-country heading east realize that while not mountainous it ain't flat...it's an inclined plane when get past the Flint Hills country.

On 5/6/2019 8:29 AM, dpb wrote: ...

Was intended to be
> Those that ride cross-country NOT heading east realize that while not > mountainous it ain't flat...it's an inclined plane when get past the > Flint Hills country.
of course...

Doesn’t stop them here. I choose to walk for exercise on the hill at the back of this town where there are dirt tracks that can only be used for walking or bikes of both types and quite often have pedal bikes zoom past. We also have these which are a real problem for pedal bikes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

On 5/6/2019 12:22 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

That is a goathead, yes...
Current off-road bikes probably have tires that are more suited or maybe they're even foamed? -- a traditional bike tire of my yut' wouldn't survive 15 minutes, typically.ood hard surface...

Those damned things will do in a car or off-road vehicle tire too. Not as common on roads as on trails though - right? Need good kevlar belted tires - like Conti Gatorskins fitted with Kenda Thorn Resistant tubes. Or mabee a Tannus Airless.
On 5/6/2019 3:22 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

"They're everwhere, they're everywhere!!!" :(
While they aren't generally growing out in the traffic part of the roads, they're rampant in ditches and along road edges and the goatheads get scattered all over by the road graders when they dig up the bar ditches/reclaim gravel...
Not much in the way of developed trails out here...can't think of any in the County, matter of fact...ya' just walk where ya' wanta' walk on the prairie; not much to stop you nor much in the general nature of any particular reason to choose one place vis a vis another... :)

On 5/6/2019 8:55 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
There's a ski slope now outside Cincinnati; the pile here in town is now getting pretty tall itself. Pretty sure it will still be 20 year or more before they'll have need to start another, though...

On 5/7/2019 1:06 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

the county facility/city lagoons are there are NE corner toiwn, the packing plant is just south of them along north side of the tracks...there's a full-mile circle about 5-mi E of town with a green north half inside an outer ring--that's Heifer Source lots beside it; our place is in the quarter section just to SW...

On 5/7/19 7:05 PM, dpb wrote:

Is Dorothy's House a big deal? It's hard to imagine it would be after all these years.
On 5/7/2019 7:21 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote: ...

Actually, yes, it is...they come from all over the world; some specifically for it.
Pretty amazing to me, too, even though served on the museum board for a number of years that it continues to have such a following--but, it provides a significant fraction of the revenue stream to keep the museum afloat.

Nope, plenty of drip with trees and lots of what we call lateral moves too.
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0005/233627/Centre-Pivot-system.jpg
Flood works better wirh rice. This is the main rice producing area of the country.
We don’t do center pivot much, lateral move is much better, uses all the land.

Our feed lots are much further out. https://www.aussiefarms.org.au/facilities/c165a-riverina-beef-feedlot
Lots of cotton too.

On 5/7/2019 9:06 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

OK, makes sense...couldn't tell what the crop was. No rice anyways near here...

The convenience of the well at the middle hard to beat. There's plenty of ground to give up the corners... :) There are lateral systems on smaller tracts back east and out in some of the mountain valleys for hay, etc., and they're pretty common in the desert SW for their specialty crops, too.

Actually Heifer Source isn't feedlot but a dairy calf-rearing facility producing milkers.

Getting to be more altho towards the northern end of the degree-days boundary but since takes less water is making inroads...plus some newer varieties better adapted.
Sunflowers, canola, some potatoes (under contract to MickeyD's), grain sorghum (milo) besides the wheat and corn...
--dpb
We don’t use wells here, its all river water.

There is a massive feedlot there too.

Plenty of all those here, and vast amount of non irrigated too.