Crimp sleeve or alternate ideas...

The old pot metal split ends for push-on style knob for the oven timer/clock finally broke leaving the end of the 1/8" OD shaft.
As it is obsolete and no longer available and the oven/ragne itself is also of a style no longer produced that do not want to give up, the need is to be able to repair...
It's long enough stub that if could find a crimp-style butt connector, think could manufacture a replacement split shaft or cut the end off a sacrificial product and attach for the knob to push on to...
I'm not thinking of right search terms to be finding anything that meets my idea...have some old telephone wire nicopress that are just a little too small...
Or, other ideas also welcomed...

The metal post broke ? I've seen the old plastic knobs crack at the insertion point .. from heat & age & cheapness. John T.

If you are not in love with that particular knob you could get a 1/8x1/4" bushing, epoxy it on the shaft and use a set screw type 1/4" knob. There are plenty of styles in that category

The metal post broke ? I've seen the old plastic knobs crack at the insertion point .. from heat & age & cheapness. John T.
Yes...it's the style with a kerf down the middle of end of shaft leaving the two semi-circular halves...one half had been broken off for quite some time, finally the other gave way, too...
Of course, it's really cheap/weak metal shaft so it's not like it's all that much torque to twist as there's very little cross-sectional area left.
The knob itself is just fine...
On Friday, May 3, 2019 at 6:30:54 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

How about a piece of copper tubing or similar that will slip over it? Then maybe drill a larger hole in the knob to receive it, together with glue? You'd probably have to break it if you ever need to get it off, but given the choices, I could live with that. I suppose if you have numbered drills and can size it right, you could get it so that the knob would press fit on tight enough, maybe with just a tiny bit of glue?
On 5/3/2019 6:17 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Well, that was my idea...excepting I'm finding nothing of suitable ID/OD for the sleeve which is the Q? ...

solid brass - drill to fit - or solid aluminum drill to fit, or tube of either with too small ID and drill to fit.
On 5/4/2019 11:49 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

If had milling or lathe facilities, yes...
If could find something suitable OD already pre-drilled even smaller, yes, that might be do-able; but so far haven't found the magic part...
Altho, actually, a Nicopress #10 SWG might be just the ticket...have to go rummage around and see what's left from the days we used to have to keep up our own phone line to connect to main switchboard in town...

What diameter do you need on the ID? Where are you located? Don't need a mill - just a lathe - which I have in the garage.
On 5/4/2019 7:22 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

I've not mic'ed it, but it looks like nominal 1/8" diameter shaft...
As for location, SW corner KS...I didn't get to to the look-see for what Nicopress sleeves happen to still be out in the barn...I know there are a couple boxes or so, just what size(s) they may be I don't know...

What type of control is it? Can you point us to a picture? Is this the part that adjusts the clock? What brand stove/oven? Can the shaft be readily removed from the timer? Are you sure it''s pot metal? Zinc or aluminum? definitely not ferrous?

What type of control is it? Can you point us to a picture? Is this the part that adjusts the clock? What brand stove/oven? Can the shaft be readily removed from the timer? Are you sure it''s pot metal? Zinc or aluminum? definitely not ferrous?
A) Clock/timer functions B) I've not found any; have to take one a post link...tomorrow, maybe. C) Yes, and all the timed operation functions and timer D) mid-80s GE -- specific parts unavailable(*) D) "Readily?" probably not. Theoretically possible? Maybe... E) Yes/Not Al/Yes
(*) In past there's been listed alternate electronic module altho I've not checked whether it's still available or not.

Provide actual model number please.
On 5/4/2019 11:48 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

GE JBV42G
I did go ahead and order one of the electronic replacement modules just to have on hand if all else fails while they're still available...ordered the magnetron some time back to stick on shelf--the unique item with these ranges is the microwave is the full-size oven itself and the kitchen in the old farm house simply has no room to put a free-standing microwave...so, having that feature that is no longer available by any manufacturer is _a_big_deal_ in keeping it.

That timer was problematic - the replacement electronic timer is an excellent way to keep the unique oven functional for years to come.
On 5/4/2019 7:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

How so? Has worked for nearly 40 years... and the timer/clock itself is still fully functional; just lost the handle. Pliers work, but are somewhat inconvient, the missus says... :)

I just read they were known to be a problem. Yours has worked well, but apparently some didn't.
What you basically need is a knob about 3/8 inch long with a long hollow shaft to fit over the 1/8 inch stub that you can epoxy on - right? How much of the 1/8 inch shaft do you have left to work with (that you can slip the new shaft over)?

I already suggested getting a 1/8" x 1/4" bushing and finding another knob or drilling out his to 1/4".
On 5/5/2019 12:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Indeed you did; but I ain't found such...yet, anyways... :)

On 5/4/2019 10:40 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Interesting. I'd never run across that in searching for other pieces/parts over the years...of the things that have had to repair, this is the first time the timer/clock has ever been an issue -- altho, when the first half of the two splines (for lack of better name) broke a number of years ago I looked for replacement then, but the mechanical clock/timer was already obsolete/unavailable. Of course, almost everything else is, too, and has been for 20+ years. :(
There's somewhat under an inch left past the face plate; it has to have sufficient clearance to be pushed inward by about a 1/4-3/8 inch to engage the clock-setting function; so the knob can't use up the whole length--hence the wish to extend the shaft somewhat again...the broken pieces are roughly 5/8" in length...