crawlspace wiring questions

I want to add some outlets and/or lights in the crawlspace because I'll be working in it for a long time, and it would also help future inspection (I check it once in a while).

I have read past posting about wiring crawlspace and still have some questions:

(1) Since the crawlspace may be wet, I'd like to use waterproof junction boxes. Do I also need to put the cables in conduit? Metal or plastic?

(2) Can I tap the power from any convenient junctions I can find, or do I need to run a separate circuit from the panel? Is there a limit on how many receptacles one circuit can feed? If I want to install a sump pump, I remember reading that each motor load of a certain current requires its own dedicated circuit, is this true? If so, what is the max current pump I can use that does not require a dedicated circuit?

Reply to
peter

It shouldn't be that wet but you should put everything on a GFCI for your own safety. You are sitting in the dirt.

Any general lighting circuit should do for this since it is a minimal load and infrequently used.

You should be looking at a new circuit when you get up around 1/2HP but if you did, you could also put the rest of your lights in the crawlspace on that fairly safely. I would GFCI everything after the pump.

Reply to
gfretwell

If your thinking of just some work lights so you can see well enough to crawl around why not some 12 volt outdoor lights, easy to install no hazards etc.

Then put a proper outside outlet with GFCI and weatherproof cover just outside the crawl space access.

if you put a sump pump in a crawl space it must be GFCI protected....

Reply to
hallerb

Receptacles don't use current, things plugged into receptacles use current. If there is only one receptacle, people will plug everything into that. Counting receptacles will not give you any meaningful indication of current usage. Some people use 1 1/2 amp per receptacle and the code does too in certain instances, but it is nonsense. Only that which is being used or likely to be used matters. Count that!

Multiply the motor running current by 1.25, then deduct that figure from the current rating of the circuit in question. What you have left is how much additional lighting you can put on the same circuit. If you expect that lighting to be on for 3 or more hours, along with the motor running, then you would have to multiply that additional load by 1.25. That is for continuous duty.

It's not a bad idea to have the lighting on a different circuit in case you mess with the pump and cause it to suck something into the impeller that hangs up and locks the motor rotor....tripping the breaker. You don't want the lights to go out on you while your down there. Always have a backup penlight. Dark trips back are not fun when all you can see are little eyes looking back at you and spiders crawling down your back.

Be sure you can disconnect the pump within sight of your sump hole. You want to be able to work on it in situ without someone turning it on. I'd put everything down there on GFI. As for the lights, I've got keyless receptacles in my crawl space with incandescent lamps. They always burn out and I don't want to climb around 4 corners of my crawl space to change them. Consider fluorescent strip lights or those new screwshell fluorescent lamps. They last many many years. It's nice when the crawl space is fully lit and the monsters can't sneak up on you in the dark.

Good luck with your project,

Randy R. Cox

Reply to
Randy Cox

Hi, Out at my cabin the crawl space is such that I can sit up and work down there. When built I had one circuit dedicated there and mounted all the fixtures, switch box, duplex outlet box on the side of floor joists. The switch is right at the access door. So when I open it I can reach it and turn the lights on.

Reply to
Tony Hwang