crawlspace rotted

----entire crawlspace rotted. Fundgi on joists, and face plate, beams, and guirder involment. Joists have been sistered in the past. New treated joints are fine. Old joists are almost completely rotted from moisture and fungi involvement. Does anybody have any idea of what the cost of remedy may be. Approximately 2000 sq ft.---------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 351538 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
cbtfarms

I tried looking but my photo viewer must be broke.

Reply to
ransley

"cbtfarms" wrote

Impossible to estimate. Best I can guess from this post is raising house may be required.

Reply to
cshenk

cbtfarms_at_aol_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (cbtfarms) wrote in news:49fb3f6f$0$5425 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

19.95 + s&h
Reply to
Red Green

If the entire floor system has failed, house may not be economically repairable. Sure, it can be done, the same way they do historic houses- bolt boards to all the walls, slide needle beams through house, and lift with those. Then build a new foundation and floor in as authentic a style as possible, and set the house back down, striving to keep everything square and lined up. But that is incredibly fussy and labor-intensive work.

No way to tell without a site survey by an engineer qualified in remediation and restoration work. But if this is just another cookie cutter and newer than 1920 or so, I'd almost bet they call it a teardown. Sell off or donate whatever is usable from the non-rotted part, scrape the lot down to undisturbed soil, and start over. And don't build anything there unless you are sure the new one won't rot in five years from an ongoing groundwater problem. Not all lots are realistically buildable. Sounds like this one had drainage problems.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

And $1.40 sales tax...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

And possibly lack of damproofing and ventilation of the existing crawl space?

Reply to
stan

between $85 and $300 a square foot. Tear down and build a new one.

Reply to
Steve Barker