Cracked Ceiling plaster

My 45 year old lath and plaster single story house near Los Angeles, California, is showing LONG cracks in the ceiling and wall plaster.

Several times over the years I have tried to repair these cracks but the always become visible again soon.

Recently I was told to use drywall fiberglass mesh tape and fill tape with some replacement material like Spackle. I think I need a flexible material to fill in the the tape mesh and cover the cracks. The ceiling cracks constantly move so a brittle material will crack again.

Who makes a flexible crack covering material? Or, who mmakes a suitable material?

Thanks for suggestions, Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_s

Dave,

I saw a clever technic on Ask This Old House. Find the ceiling joists in the area of the cracks and screw decking screws with large 1/4" X 1 1/4" Fender Washers attached through the plaster and into the joists. If you can remove some of the plaster where you will apply the screws and washers this will help in seating the screw head and washer just below the surface of the plaster. Then replaster the area with patching mix or drywall joint compound. The screw and washer will prevent the crack from reopening.

Reply to
philly