Coverting fence section into gate...

I want to make one of the fence sections around my yard into a gate. They are regular spaced vertical planks of cedar on three horizontal planks, and about 8 feet wide and 6 high.

I was considering cutting in half down the middle, putting a couple of diagonals (one in each side). And then hinging the edges. The posts are solid and concreted in fine.

Does this sound like a decent plan? I'm concerned about the thing sagging. I don't want any latch in the middle, so I'll put in a castle-style plank that can be lifted or rotated out of the way.

Thanks for any tips if anyone has done such a thing.

Dean

Reply to
dean

A four foot wide six foot tall cedar fence is going to be a might heavy gate. The gate itself will need some good cross bracing and the post at each end are not likely ready for what you have planed. A diagonal in the next eight foot section would help out on the closed position, but when open they will be stressing those post and their foundation far more than any normal fence post could support. I would suggest that you will likely need to increase the size of the post and sink them four foot into the ground rather than the two foot they likely have now.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My neighbors fence has gates on that scale, mounted to 4 X 4 posts, and they seem to work OK although they are seldom opened. Your plan sounds OK to me. Don't skimp on the hinges; use real sturdy ones and mount with lag bolts. The hinges will take up some space - instead of just one cut to halve the fence section, you may have to make two cuts to remove an inch or so of it (i.e. make each half about a half inch less wide). Zero sag may be hard to achieve even with diagonal bracing; you may want to initially mount them pointed up slightly to compensate. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

Yes, ok that's a good idea. I wonder if I should put in a top piece extended up a foot or so and then arching over (flat) to hold the two posts apart more strongly. I'd have to see what that looks like, maybe I'll try without for starters.

Thanks,

Dean

Reply to
dean