cordless tools

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:TiK2e.27633$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

IMO,battery life is related to "use it or lose it",and not overcharging.(simple chargers,not 'smart chargers')

NiCds like to be used,not stored. NiMh,I'm not sure about,I don't have any experience with them.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have some issues with the yellow stuff too, my gray stuff seem to be ok so far. Big Red is now red communist (Milwaukee Techtronics) Hong Kong company ITT. I think it is still manufactured in the US for the time being. The website shows an impressive 28V cordless claimed to be lighter and last twice as long as the 18V models. Checkout the cordless bandsaw! But they forgot the chainsaw!

Fred

Actually, I did sort of solve that problem. I never could understand why someone building a deck on their house would use a cordless tool to drive the decking screws, when there is an outlet right in the house within a short distance. However, there have been a couple of instances where a cordless would be helpful. Last year Walmart had a

6volt cordless drill for $9. It does not have a replaceable battery pack. The batteries are built right into the drill. It's obviously a disposible drill. It has a nice keyed chuck on it (and I hate keyless chucks). I was just looking into buying a replacement chuck for one of my corded drills, and the chuck was $13. I bought this $9 drill just for the chuck. However, I ended up charging it, and found it does a nice job for a very cheap drill. I'll use it till the batteries die, then remove the chuck and toss it. It worked nicely when I had to change my rural mailbox, and didn't want to bother hauling the generator and too far from the house for AC power. Normally I would have just used a common screwdriver for this job but it was freezing cold outside when the snowplow knocked my mailbox off the post. This cheapie drill made the job fast enough that I didnt get my fingers and toes frozen in the process.

Most people would consider this drill a toy. IT IS..... But I consider ALL cordless tools toys.... I normally would not have bought something like this, except for the chuck. I would not have. But even if it only lasts a year, it's worth the $9. Big difference between this and spending $200 for a "brand name" and then another $50 for each additional battery.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Atrick

Jim Yanic, nicads and nimh can be stored well , they need to be left discharged for best results, only lead-acid batteries should be left fully charged.

Reply to
m Ransley

I had an old (30 years ago) cheap B&D drill that had the best chuck I ever used. For hte most part, the keyless are pretty crappy, but so are the cheap keyed chucks. I recently bought a Panasonic with keyless that operates with one hand. It has not let me down yet. A few good ones do exist.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have only two DeWalt drills, one 12V 90 degree drill, and a corded 1/2 chuck one. Neither get used much. My Bosch 18V and older Milwaukee 18 V get worked out almost daily, and have only had to replace one of the Milwaukee batts out of 4. One of my guys bought a Hitachi 14V kit, that was basically a drill, case, and a light for $70 at Lowes...its alright for running sheetmetal screws and such, but it takes forever to charge, and the charger weighs as much as my Miwaukee drill with the battery attached. I am kinda sold on the Bosch line right now, IF I had to go buy another cordless. The fact that they can be dropped from a pretty good distance and still keep on going is a plus.

The Panasonics...I never had one, but wanted the Shark model that had the bit that could be moved from side to side, top to bottom of the axis so that you could get into some tight spots...Johnstone used to carry it, but never could justify the $300 or so that it was.

Reply to
steve

Cordless are best for the pros but typical homeowners who only occasionally use them are still better off with the plug-ins, more power, cheaper, last forever and are always ready to go.

Reply to
Blue

I have a set of rechargable Black & Deckers (from back when they weren't crap) that the batteries have finally given up the ghost. In my case the newer stuff is so much more powerful and can do a lot more so I'm scrapping the old stuff completely. Regardless of that the majority of my tools are, and will remain, of the corded variety.

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

True, but do we really need automatic transmissions, power steering, and radios in our cars? Some of us are willing to pay for the extras.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sure, and I'll pay extra for a corded tool, one that's pretty much always ready go, and won't quit when the job is half done and is nice and light... Fortunately, they're usually cheaper. :)

John

Reply to
raven

I agree!

Even for minor drilling jobs at my bench (where there are plenty of outlets) or around the house (again many outlets), I find it easier to just use the cordless.

No extension chords, and no chord to tangle/untangle and just get in the way.

Reply to
blueman

My trusty old Sears 3/8" works perfectly and has the power to drill anything within reason. Just get out the 100' electric cord and have at it.

Bought two HD 12V drills, one with a keyed chuck and one with a keyless chuck for $12 and $15. Freedom! sure they aren't as powerful as a corded model, but I ain't dragging a long cord around. And talk about not changing bits. Put a drill in one and drive screws with the other. Most fun I've had since I switched my commuter car from a Chrysler to a Dodge Colt. Just watch battery voltage to determine when to charge and never overcharge.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon