Cool sight today

Yes, the original design had a single *monster* tire per. It was soon changed. The Wright Pat Air Force Museum has one of them (gear only) in the corner.

That's why they call it the "BUFF". ;-)

I don't want to be one of them jumping on the badies, either. They're "hanging out" in more than one way, until they get down.

Reply to
krw

That was the thing that was so impressive. These guys were so low, the chute opened and they were on the ground. By the time the last stick was off the ramp the first stick was running at us. I don't know how they would have handled a malfunction.

Reply to
gfretwell

During the training of Patton's troops in WWII, near Palm Springs, they set two world records one night. They had the largest numbers of paratroopers jump at night. And they jumped into the largest cholla forest in the WORLD.

Casualties were estimated at 80%.

Ouch!

I've quail hunted in southern Nevada where there is a lot of it. They call it "jumping cactus" because no matter how careful you are, you can get stuck by it. It doesn't really "jump"............ or does it?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

But they're pretty damned defenseless until the first feet get on the ground.

Reply to
krw

These days they would have air support that would keep everyone's head down. That was the other plane that was impressive. An AC-130H "Spectre" would have people digging their fox hole a little deeper.

Reply to
gfretwell

Would that be the famous "Son of Puff the Magic Dragon?" I know a version of that song that's way too politically incorrect to post here. The last time I posted it I got cut to pieces even though it's an equal opportunity offender of a song. I know the original Puffs were already long in the tooth when they were used in the Vietnam war - I believe the Puffs were built on the military version of the DC-3. I've seen footage of gunships like the Spectre taking out entire city blocks in seconds. The Panama/Noriega business, IIRC. Gotta love those miniguns. Talk about your unique sounds. Designed and made by that tax cheat, GE! (-:

The only thing I've seen that's more impressive were tests of the stacked bullet array guns called "MetalStorm" with firing rates in excess of 1 MILLION rounds per minute. Targets just disappear in a puff of smoke. Talk about a "hail of bullets."

Good illustrations but too concerned with ethics. (-: That author merely confirms the amazing lethality of these new guns by writing:

"Metal Storm military technology is too powerful to be classified as a conventional weapon. While it only fires bullets, and does not unleash biological, chemical, or radioactive toxins, it is still a technology that is currently too powerful to be used for military applications."

I'll take "too powerful" over "not powerful enough" for OUR military weapons any day. The large array metalstorm guns make a sound unlike anything you've ever heard. Imagine the angriest beehive in the world and multiply by 100,000. I've seen a troop carrier loaded with crash test dummies just vanishing into a cloud of confetti. It's almost like a military Cuisinart set to puree the enemy. Looks nothing like a conventional gun and more like those black monoliths from the movie "2001." As you can imagine, DoD is

*very* interested in this technology, especially for defeating (shredding) incoming missiles.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green