Air Force needs out help

I read again today, the Air Force has a shortage of 2,000 pilots. This is a big potential problem if there is a crisis, but the guys here can help.

I know some of the guys here already have a pilots license. I don't have one, but I do have a few hours of stick time so training to fly a fighter jet would be simple.

If we enlist together, we can form the Social Security Squadron, a group of mature pilots!

Join the S S S

Are you in? Can I count on you guys? Are we off Into the Wild Blue Yonder?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Interesting thought. I knew an old air force pilot who when he left the air force could not get a job as a commercial pilot because of his age. I think he was only about 35. He was candidly told this by someone at the airline that even though he was an excellent candidate he was too old. Maybe air force pilots that want to continue flying know this and leave early to get commercial pilot jobs.

Reply to
Frank

The article indicated that many are leaving for commercial aviation. Seems like just not enough people going into flying. The other problem in the AF is budget cuts. Wages aside, these guys want to fly but congress cut back on the available air time to save money.

Back in 2009 the FAA raised the mandatory retirement age for commercial pilots from 60 to 65. One reason was the shortage of pilots.

I'd have gone into the AF out of high school if I could qualify as pilot, but could not pass the vision test.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Captain Clarence Oveur

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

I would do it except I have a better idea: Put my name on the list, pay me, but don't let me touch anything. That would save the taxpayers money and an instructors life. I know the first time I would pilot a plane I would auger in because I had to stop to take a leak..

Christ, I can hardly aim a car and use the Braille parking method.

Reply to
Tekkie®