My brother was trying out his new over the top double walled stainless steel
grill for the first time. As the steaks were about ready we opened the grill
and there was a flash of light and a loud bang. We inspected it later and
found that the stainless grate that the ceramic heat distributors fit into
had blown out along a tube's seam leaving a gash about an inch long. It
looks like the tubes were made with a more standard steel inside and then
wrapped in SS. We figure there must have been some kind of gas trapped
inside during manufacturing that caused the explosion.
They've sent him a new grate, but we are wondering what exactly happened and
if it could happen again.
Members Mark (Grand Hall)
A... gee, thanks... I think. As I already said the part was replaced. I
assume the bar was defective. As far as I know there is nothing that needs
fixing; it's a grill; it gets hot. What didn't you understand/I make clear
about the question?
I think the point was that if he was sent a new part that was made in the
same way as the old one, there is no logical reason to expect that new part
to perform differently. Since you supplied no information about what, if
any, explanation your friend got from the manufacturer, we are all coming to
the same conclusion: There will be an encore performance.
This conclusion is further justified by the fact that so much stuff is now
made in China. Many of the companies we buy from are nothing but sales
organizations, with no knowledge of their manufacturing processes.
It did not come from the factory sealed in gas, who can say what
happened, you dont even have a clue. Maybe the flame was blown out
closing the lid because of? wind, poor draw, low flame and the hood
forced it out ? and opening it again gave oxygen to the hot cooking area
with raw gas going boom. Just a guess and possibly operator inexperiance
or many other things, like tank valve freeze , low propane, Propane
hose or connection leak, who knows you have to figure it out or Boom
again, maybe bigger this time. It only a grill not a science project.
The force of the explosion had to come from within the grate pipe because
the walls were blown out at the seam of the stainless steel layer. I don't
see how any explanation could be fathomed where the cooking propane was the
cause of this unless it miraculously found its way into the tubing of the
The company rep said he had never heard of this happening, but they sent him
a new part.
| --in cross section this is a circle
| | --in cross section this is almost u-shaped
That's what the blow out of the seam that runs parallel to the bar on the
bottom side of the grate looks like. The bent ss was forced away from the
center of the bar. In case anyone missed the op, the bars that make up the
ss grate are at least 1/4" thick with another type of steel inside. The ss
layer wraps that, hence the seam.
I finally got a picture from my brother and uploaded it:
There is a seam in the ss that is obscured by the glare. It faces down when
in place in the grill.
Probably was made in China. It was bought at Sam's Club.
Looks like the rods are constructed by wrapping a thin sheet
of (expensive) stainless around a rod of (cheap) recycled
whatever comes out of the crucible today. And you got
one with an air or water-bubble trapped inside. If the next one
doesn't blow up the first time you run it up to self-clean
temperatures, it's not likely to blow up at all.
Finally, a sensible response. I imagine that could have had the force to
cause this and make a bang. I still wonder, though, whether trapped air or
water could have produced the white hot flash that we saw.
Yes, especially if there was some moisture in it. It would turn to steam
and build quite a bit of pressure. What you probably saw was the flame from
the burners being blown away rather than the inside gas exploding.
Given the temperature of the grill, it could have easily risen to 330
degrees that equates to about 120 psi of steam. It took quite a bit of
pressure to open the seam the way it did.
You obviously have no respect for traditions established over many years in
the old country (Queens, Brooklyn, NJ). Some things need to be done
discreetly, unless you wanna end up in a new home with 2 skinny beds, metal
bars, and a roommate who's not of your choosing.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.