Conducting concrete

I like that link.

Page 5 has a table with ground electrode depths ranging between 3 and

1000 meters.

Yes, meters. I'll assume they mean metres, which is well over half a mile... maybe they do mean a pile of 1000 testers?

Hmm... I wonder what they do mean?

Page 6 says "Just watch your units" :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You don't. Try it. Or try placing a lightbulb or meter instead of yourself. One end on live, the other end with a steel plate on the concrete floor the same size as your bare feet. Show me a video of this working.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You don't get enough current through a >20MOhm resistance to give you even a tingle.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And in this case it's so insignificant it's nothing. Lightning might go through it....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There's something very important right there which backs me up completely:

"because it will absorb moisture from the earth and be a good conductor in direct contact with the earth". So **damp** concrete conducts. I wasn't talking about damp concrete. I was talking about concrete dry enough to be the floor of your home. Do you really walk around on damp floors? What if you lay a carpet?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Oh how confusing.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

[crosses legs]
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

:

or, on grade, in an industrial setting a violation of this specific standar d?

grade in an industrial setting will be a violation of the OSHA rule at 191

0.304(f)(5)(v)(C)(5), if the fan has exposed non-current-carrying metal par ts that can be contacted by employees. Concrete on grade level, because it will absorb moisture from the earth and be a good conductor in direct conta ct with the earth, is always considered to be at ground potential.

n direct contact with the earth". So **damp** concrete conducts. I wasn't talking about damp concrete. I was talking about concrete dry enough to b e the floor of your home. Do you really walk around on damp floors? What if you lay a carpet?

So sad that the UK is apparently so poor and backward that they apparently have bare concrete floors in the living space of most homes.

Reply to
trader_4

Conducting is not a absolute term, there are various degrees of conducting. Thats why they make Ohm meters.

I just tested in my dry basement. Two bare feet on concrete tested about 50K Ohms. Not enough to light a light bulb, but enough to give a shock.

makolber

The U.S. National Electrical Code has a special section, Article

547, for livestock confinement buildings. Critters are four foot drive compared to human two foot drive. That makes them a lot more susceptible to stray current. It talks about creating an equipotential plane on the concrete floor. It takes a lot or rebar and/or wire mesh. I've read it's similar to that for swimming pools. Critters won't drink or dairy cows won't release their milk if getting shocked.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Then your basement is wetter than my garage.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We do not. We have wooden floors suspended above the ground, to keep the floor dry. It's the AMERICANS that have concrete floors.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 4:39:08 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wro te:

e:

ote:

floor, on grade, in an industrial setting a violation of this specific stan dard?

on grade in an industrial setting will be a violation of the OSHA rule at

1910.304(f)(5)(v)(C)(5), if the fan has exposed non-current-carrying metal parts that can be contacted by employees. Concrete on grade level, because it will absorb moisture from the earth and be a good conductor in direct co ntact with the earth, is always considered to be at ground potential.

r in direct contact with the earth". So **damp** concrete conducts. I was n't talking about damp concrete. I was talking about concrete dry enough t o be the floor of your home. Do you really walk around on damp floors? Wh at if you lay a carpet?

floor dry. It's the AMERICANS that have concrete floors.

How did the village idiot become such an expert on American homes? If you come over here and look, you'll find a small percentage of homes that have bare concrete living space floors. Some percentage of homes, have concrete floors in parts of the living space, but the vast majority of those are covered with other materials. The most common construction is wood frame. And WTF does a village idiot know about US construction in places like AZ? The UK doesn't even have a desert. I guess you did once upon a time, until you got your sorry asses run out of your empire.

Reply to
trader_4

The rebar and wire mesh are down in the concrete below the wet surface. How would either help if the concrete didn't conduct the current down to their level? Dairies have to be clean and get inspected from what I've heard.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

By what was written in here.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You think the piss doesn't soak through the concrete?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword