conc foundation under lolly or lally column?

The corbeled bottom of my 3 story brick chimney in the basement was removed and I would like to resupport the brick. I'd like to install a lolly column (a hollow 4" diameter adjustable height steel column) . Do I need to jack hammer the basement concrete floor and pour a concrete footing or can I sit the column base on a block of wood to distribute the weight?

Reply to
Robin

A friend had that done by the builder of his new house. They cut a square out of the floor and poured a new footing. Apparantly the slab wasn't considered strong enough.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Generally the floor will not be strong enough and you should create a footer. The wood will not work.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What is holding it up now? A 3 story chimney, with missing or weakened support can be very dangerous.

Reply to
EXT

It needs a footing and the column needs to have sufficient strength to carry the load. You might need an engineer.

Reply to
Ajax

thanks for the help!~

Reply to