Compact Flourecent Wall Timer

I have compact fluorescent lights for outside lighting and need a timer to turn them on automatically. I currently use a standard wall light switch. I know that one must use a mechanical timer to accomplish this. Anybody have any suggestions on a model number or where to get one that will fit a standard wall light switch? Thanks.

Use your computer's spare processing power to advance science.

Fold for Team 32
FIREFOX BROWSER A free, better, faster, and more secure browser The one that those in the know use.

Cindy

"Tork" makes a nice and reliable mechanical wall switch replacement timer. It only fits in a single switchbox (can't be ganged with other switches) and it requires a neutral

Reply to
RBM

Tork 701A is the model

Reply to
RBM

I've got one, and use it with regular incandescent lights. Those types of switches won't work with CF bulbs - it says so right on the package.

Reply to
Andy Simms

You can get an electronic programmable timer that fits in a standard wall switch box. I don't remember the brand name(s). They work well and cost about $30. I have seen them at HD. Try a google search. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Kevin is right, but so is Andy.. There are two different ones..The one your using Andy, probably has the round dial on it. I tried that one with CF and it would not keep time.. The one that Kevin is speaking of has a digital display on it with a plastic cover over the set buttons(it fits in a standard Dacora cover). You press on the plastic cover and it will cycle the lights. It uses a small relay or small motorized switch which you can hear and is powered by a single AA battery. I have used these in two different houses and they work great..The new one I bought even has a setting for time shift for daylight/dusk time changes. You have to imput your data based on a map or something like that and you can tell it to do dawn to dusk, or to turn on at dark and turn off at a specific time, ect. Nice unit..And they don't care what you power with them as long as it is within the ratings....I bought mine at Home Depot too..Can't remember the brand but it's right next to those round ones..It's a bit of a pain trying to find one that works on CF bulbs..Glad they sell this one..

John

Reply to
John

OK I found these 3 units. The first 2 I have used. These have a electro-mechanical relays that you can hear the clicking sound when switched. I don't know about the 3rd one.

  1. I have used this one and this is the one sold at HD. Uses 2 AA batteries that last a year. Good for 15 Amps.
  2. I have used this one and like it better because it has a built in rechargeable battery and is good for 20 Amps.
  3. This may be the one that Andy is referring to. They do say not for fluorescent. Don't know why? Maybe it has an electronic relay that won't start the ballast properly???
    Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Ricks

I think it's because the one I have is powered by the AC current, and only has a battery as a backup during power failures. Since it's powered through the AC, it needs to be able to have a complete circuit (albeit very low wattage) to power the timer itself; with CF bulbs, the ballast breaks the circuit. It doesn't have an AAA battery - it only has a watch battery in it.

The one I have is here:

Andy Simms