Combining Cold Air Returns

I need some opinions on a home renovation issue I have.

We are renovating our kitchen and this involved removing a wall. When I took down the wall I found not just 1 but 2 cold air returns running from the second floor above to the basement below. My original idea was to build a single column to contain the cold air return. Now that I have discovered that there are actually 2, not 1 I am wondering if it is OK to combine them into a single column. My idea is to build a bulkhead to join them at the ceiling and then either have both of them run into the same place on the floor, or to build a second bulkhead at the floor to allow each to return to it's original location.

Any thoughts on the best approach?

Reply to
Chris Gulka

It will work if the single is large enough to accommodate the air flow from both.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

handle airflow

Reply to