Colortime paint turning into cheeze

I have some Colortime paint which I bought at Walmart. I have about 2 of 5 gallons left after 3 weeks. I noticed that the paint is turning it a cheezy consistency. Is there something I can do to make the paint's consistency better? Orginally, I added some paint thinner, but that did not seem to make a big difference. I added a bit of acetone, which seems to help. Maybe the more volitile liquids were evaporating off in the 100 degree days here.

Reply to
Deodiaus

So what kind of paint is this? Oil base? Acrylic?

Reply to
dadiOH

??? Paint thinner should only be used in oil based paints. Acetone is a paint remover, not an additive for latex paint. What kind of paint is it? If it's latex, you should just dump it, get more, and DON'T add anything to it.

Adding paint thinner solvent to latex will make it curdle and cheezy. Don't ask how I know.

Reply to
EXT

Yes, its latex.

Reply to
Deodiaus

Its latex. It costs about $75 / 5 gal so I'd rather not dump it.

Reply to
Deodiaus

Too late. It's ruined. It's also illegal to "dump". You need to set the cans out opened, and let them evaporate until solid, and then put in the trash.

Reply to
Judi Haffner

Yes, its latex.

===========

You're not particularly intelligent. Where the f*ck did you ever get the idea that you could think latex paint with acetone? There are instructions on the paint containers for a reason.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

.

Well, it's garbage now. You could act ignorant (which may not be so hard) and take it back to walmart. "I dunno what happened to it???"

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Step #1: throw out your now ruined remaining paint.

Step #2: go back to Wal-mart and buy more

Step #3: if you just *have* to thin the new paint, use water. Yes, the stuff that comes out of a faucet. It wouldn't hurt if you read the instructions on the can too.

Reply to
dadiOH

At that price, it was pretty cheezy to start with :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Most people would just stir it, not ruin it with inappropriate solvents.

Reply to
Bob F

Latex paint is an emulsion. Adding something like acetone may only help to break it and it will not be recoverable. About the only thing you can do is add water and stir it.

Reply to
Frank

and when you go back to walmart to get more cause you ruined what you had, get the KILZ brand paint. The colortime is junk.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You've ruined it by adding paint thinner and acetone. Go get more.

Obviously this is latex paint. And obviously, there is something very wrong with the batch you bought. If Walmart won't make good on it, dispose of it per the common sense ways suggested above. While distilled water is the best diluent for latex paints, many professional painters use Floetrol (Google it) especially for cut in. Floetrol works well to mitigate some spray painting problems, like texture differences in overlapping application.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

LOllOOllllLLOL!!!!

And they actually trust you with a paint brush?

OMG, TOO FUNNY!

Reply to
Kerry

Hey waitaminute, remember Thomas Huxley's admonition:

"There is no right way to do the wrong thing".

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

It's hard to imagine RUINING paint that came from Walmart, but I guess if you really try.......

Reply to
norminn

??? No, there was nothing wrong with it. The OP added paint thinner (for oil base paint only) and then acetone (paint remover) to latex paint. It was user error that caused the problem. Why should WalMart have to make good on it?