colling: wall

What is wall cooling?

This house seems to have it

This is some fancy method that isnt' ready yet.

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner. This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall. This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.

Reply to
micky

One problem with through the wall air conditioners is that when it comes time to replace them how do you find any the same size?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Maybe they mean mini-splits, which mount on the wall? But since it has forced air, was built 10 years ago, that doesn't sound right. My guess is it's a typo/mistake.

Reply to
trader_4

I don't think they're talking conventional AC like a minisplit.

There is something called cold plate cooling, which is essentially a cold radiator. It requires you to dehumidify the air first, which is sometimes done anyway in a building with tempered fresh air, or might not be necessary in a dry climate.

That hydrogel wall in the other link looks like another system that could cool but would not dehumidify, so like swamp coolers will only work in limited locations.

Reply to
TimR

And it's not avail yet, let alone in 2007 when the house was built.

Technology like those in a $265K house? My bet is still it's most likely just a typo/mistake. A house like that, in DE, with forced air heat, would almost certainly have typical central air.

Reply to
trader_4

It's certainly a *wall* unit but I still doubt that's what's used. Even they don't suggest it for homes, "Klimaire Package Terminal Air Conditioner (PTAC) units are designed to provide year-round comfort in hotel, motel, office buildings, nursing homes, classrooms, apartments, dormitories, and hospitals. PTAC's are conveniently installed on an interior wall with the back of the unit vented to the exterior. No ducting is required. Klimaire's KTHN PTAC's are built to the industry standard 42 inch width and fit standard 16 inch existing wall sleeves."

I quoted to the last part for Bill's sake becuase it refers to a "standard 16" wall sleeve." I've also noticed that there's a standard because you can see from the outside in many apartment buildings of a certain type and age that, to the extent I can measure with my eyes, the sleeve is always the same size. Way back in 1973, in a building built

10 or 20 years earlier, they had a sleeve of that size.

I'm willing to go with Trader's idea that it's a mistake.

Reply to
micky

Hate PTACs, would never have one in a house. A garage or shed, sure.

There is no humidity control and they put the loud compressor right next to you, plus they are energy hogs.

Reply to
TimR

My first house I put a window AC through the wall. It was fairly common and mini-splits did not exist back then. I did it about 1965 or so. Probably a half dozen houses on my block did that and I know of many more. Common solution back then.

With improvements in technology, newer AC units were usually a bit smaller so it was easy to add a filler panel on top. That is what I did.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Most are, because they are going for a low price point. I worked for the Nesbitt Company a few decades ago and they built units that were so quiet you could not hear them a couple of feet away. They were the highest priced unit at the time too. The compam went out of business in the 70's.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I try to find motels where the windows open. Not always easy, especially newer buildings.

It was 50 years ago but a friend had a quiet window air conditioner. Designed so the double hung window closed to an inch or two above the sill, Just pipes from the front to the bakc so the compressor was outside and the noise was less.

I never saw one of these for sale, even though I t hink people would have always liked them..

Reply to
micky

TimR posted for all of us...

+1 If you ever stayed in a motel/hotel with these you will remember them. They also have a wide hysteris range providing no comfort. Many times not well maintained. Get a mini split.
Reply to
Tekkie®

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Exactly, I remember the Nesbitt's.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Worse yet:

Install 2 through the *brick* wall AC units, then a few years later install central AC and then a few years later get the house ready to be put on the market.

Do you pay someone to remove them, repair the interior wall and exterior brick wall or do you leave them in place and deal with the buyers when they put in an offer?

That's where we're at with my dad's house.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Frigidaire made the Vista model in the 90's. Never saw one installed so I have no idea how well they worked. They cost more than standard units so were less popular.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Never got to stage 2. Sold the house with the AC in the wall. That was

35 years ago so I have no idea what took place since.

I'd probably leave them. Use it as a selling point, back up AC. Only cool the space you are using and save energy. You should get a premium.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good idea, except that at least one of them doesn't work. Not sure about the other one.

Another negotiating point, I guess. ;-)

BTW...we are almost 100% sure that they are staying where they are. We would rather discount the house based on a reasonable estimate to have them removed than do it ourselves and run into problems once the job gets started. We could probably do a most of the work ourselves, but Grandpa was the mason, not any of us. He built the house in his "spare time".

We don't really know how the holes were cut, how they were supported, etc. The brothers and I all live 200-300 miles away so this is not a job we feel like tackling.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Quieter still are corks plugging the holes in the sashes of the windows in the barracks at USCG Lorsta Port Clarence, AK.

We attached styrofoam lined wooden boxes to the inside window sills to chill our beverages. You could chill 2 Miller 7 oz bottles in the time it took to change from your uniform into your civvies. Leave 'em in there too long and they would freeze.

Reply to
DerbyDad03