Coiling wire?

I need some hints, on how to coil some 12-2 _neatly_. I have a spool of it, and shipping some off. The problem I'm having is, it has to fit in a certain size box. Once it comes off the spool, it sure doesn't want to coil up neatly like it is on the spool. It likes to twist around etc.

Anyways, thanks for helping out someone that couldn't find a book for dummies, on coiling wire.

Reply to
Randy O.

More specifics needed. feet on spool now, roll size/feet needed, etc.

-zero

Reply to
zero

Stupid question- where are you shipping it, that they just can't drive into town and a roll, probably for less than what the shipping/box/gas to get to post office will cost?

aem sends, curiously....

Reply to
<aemeijers

Wind it on to a core like a 2 liter soda bottle. Don&#39;t twist it, just wrap it on as it comes off the larger spool.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote

I&#39;m shipping it all over the country. I had gotten a heck of a deal on some

12-2 UF underground, 5 bucks per thousand feet! Anyways, it&#39;s going for around 30 cents a foot on eBay. I&#39;ve sold some in 50 & 100 lengths. USPS gives you free boxes for priority, and if you ship flat rate priority @ $8.10, you can ship upto 70 lbs. in the box. It&#39;s still a deal over what you can buy wire for over the counter.

I&#39;m going to try what Edwin suggest.

Reply to
Randy O.

What&#39;s your ebay user name?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I&#39;ve found that when trying to wind "stiff" wire like that by hand into say a one to two foot diameter coil I do a couple of turns clockwise and then flip the coil around so the next two turns wind counterclockwise, then flip it again, etc.

Works for me...Try it...

Ideally, you should get one of those rigs which lets you wind the wire without twisting it, bind it up and then collapse the "spool" to remove the finished coil. One like this:

HTH,

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"Randy O." wrote in news:49pKg.76248$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Lay it out in the sun. Coil it while it&#39;s laying in a straight line on the ground. Just a guess.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I would be spamming this NG, and I wouldn&#39;t feel right about it, sorry.

I&#39;ve gotten a gotten some good advice, and will give it a whirl!

Reply to
Randy O.

You&#39;ll make enough money to do it right and afford this;

Or butcher your own with a plastic hose reel and some 6" bolts.

-zero

Reply to
zero

Of course you could -try- just handing them the wire and have them pack it. It works for normal items but a loose batch of wire?? I can just see the look on the clerk&#39;s face.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

If you look on Ebay for "wire coiler" you&#39;ll find a couple for ~$200.

If you use Google for the same phrase, you&#39;ll find dozens (I didn&#39;t see any prices) but, by studying the technique, I bet you could whip up your own out of parts in your garage.

Reply to
HeyBub

do you realize anyone who followed that blasting link is now marked as a terrorist, feds will be watching us closely, watch what you put out for garbage:)

Reply to
hallerb

Well, you already asked about winding.

Spam is unsolicited ad. I just asked, which makes it.... solicitied.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

If you go to eBay, look at the completed auctions, & a couple which are running this wire. Ok, I decided to auction it in 50&#39; & 75&#39;, instead of 50&#39; & 100&#39;. Anyways, that will tell you who I am!

Reply to
Randy O.