Cloudy hot water

The hot water in my kitchen sink is cloudy. Kind of a milky off white.

Also the water pressure for both hot and cold seems to be lower than when I bought it years ago, but only in the kitchen. But it may have happened so slowly that I haven't noticed.

But here is what's odd. Other hot faucets aren't cloudy. And they have higher water pressure than the kitchen.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
stinkeroo

Oh, also, I should add. It's a 13 year old house, concrete slab. Someone mentioned to me to clean the screens on the faucet, but they weren't the problem. I think right now there is no screen on the faucet head.

Reply to
stinkeroo

Hi, Flush the hot water tank. Like you flush car radiator?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

when i searched your title i found:

revealed postings including:

st> The hot water in my kitchen sink is cloudy. Kind of a milky off white. >

Reply to
buffalobill

If you fill a glass with this hot water, and let it stand for a few minutes, does the water clear, or does it stay cloudy?

Reply to
Seth Goodman

I believe that Seth is likely correct here. Did your area just get hit with cold weather a few days before this started?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Fill a clear glass with the cloudy hot water and let it sit. Does the water become clear? Yes? There's your answer. The cloudiness is due to air in the water. Now your job is to just forget it, or find out how the air got in the water.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yes it becomes clear.

Thanks for help. I read that it is due to "air in water". Where that air would come from, I don't know. Why is it only in that faucet? Is that ominous?

It's really bad in that faucet. But only that faucet.

Reply to
stinkeroo

make sure from the test of waiting for the air in the water to "clear" that nothing gathers at the bottom, since it could be one pipe right before that one faucet to the heat

now, if it is just air, don't worry, there are faucets that are made with aerators, made to basically save the consumption of water

Reply to
minder

Air bubbles per se are not very ominous. It may be an intentional feature of that faucet in fact.

However, temperature changes can also cause effects like this. So you might want to check that no part of the pipework serving this faucet is exposed to the elements such that there's a risk of the pipe freezing and bursting.

I suppose lost/missing insulation could cause such an effect too.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Is there an aerator on that faucet?

Reply to
krw

Thanks for your help.

No, I don't think there is. That would be in the faucet head, right? I took that out to clean it and it wasn't really dirty anyway. So I left it off.

Another thing that is odd is that the "power nozzle" that is that little gun like thing off to the side that you lift up off of the sink (it has it's own 'extension cord' type of thing) to do whatever with....well that thing has no power whatsoever....the water used to kind of drizzle out of it, now it is almost completely blocked. Just a drip.

Reply to
stinkeroo

stinkeroo wrote: ..

That is likely just a diverter valve problem, easy and cheap to replace.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

i agree on that

Reply to
minder

Thanks. Do you think low water pressure could be a sign of something that is also easy to fix? Or is it ominous. The water pressure there is much less than the bathroom sink, or the laundry sink. Maybe 1/3 as much...I can't figure out why that would be. I'm pretty sure it was stronger in the past and slowly became weak.

Reply to
stinkeroo

stinkeroo wrote: ..

That is typical of a build up somewhere. Often it is a filter or strainer. I don't recall seeing any such strainers or filters on a laundry sink, but it is possible. What kind of valves does it have. If they are the older washer type, it could just mean you need to replace the washers. Hot water is usually the first to go. That is cheap and easy.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan