closet opening too wide?

I will be installing closet doors in a bedroom. I've decided to put in two bi-fold doors. My challenge: the doors are 48" wide, by my opening is 51-1/8" wide. I've already installed the trim... maybe a mistake. Is there a way I can put a cheater board in or something?

Suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks!

Jay

Reply to
Jay Edgar

The easiest thing that comes to mind is, as you say, a "cheater" in the middle!

Reply to
HeyBub

Remove the casing, resize the jamb, and redo the casing. You'll only have to buy three longer pieces - the jamb header and the two header casings. Doing anything else is likely to take as much time and won't look as good.

In future you might want to consider prehanging the doors, attaching the outside casings and installing it as a unit.

RicodJour

You could always put in 2 sliding doors that overlap a bit,

Reply to
Mikepier

1) Bi-folds don't have to be the same size. You can use one 24" and one 26", leave 1/2" clear on each side, and you are there. 2) Add a piece of 1"x1-1/2" on the inside of each side of the trim. Tie this in with the trim that conceals the track. 3) Fire up your router/shaper and make a piece of melding trim that would add 1-1/2" to each door in the middle. Trim all the edges, and you won't even be able to tell the doors are bi-fold when they are closed. Everyone will go "OOOhhh" at the crafty way you concealed all the cracks, and think you are a creative and crafty fellow.
Reply to
Larry Caldwell