clogged drains

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me. Recently my bathroom tub and sink, and toilet started draining very slow. Whenever the toilet is flushed, I can hear gurgling sounds coming out of the sink and tub. At one point, after flushing, water started coming out of the tub, it didn't look pretty :-/

Would very much appreciate any ideas on how I can solve this problem, other than calling a plumber (too expensive for me).

thank you, bunny with wings

Reply to
dospamhere

use a toilet plunger first. avoid chemicals if it's not too late. if the same slow drainage thing happens an undisturbed hour later when flushing, it sounds like a blockage in the drain directly beneath the toilet. if it happens after a flush/refill/flush again it is that much farther along the pipe. you will need a closet auget to snake the toilet bowl, but to snake past the toilet bowl the toilet is then removed from the floor flange. before you take the house apart, look in the basement or at the lowest altitude drain perhaps a floor drain or laundry tub for activity. when the main is plugged the toilet might flush into a lower altitude opening in the system. see toilet troubleshooting at:

vent system illustrations at:
of help on the internet.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

No other drains in house are affected at all/kitchen? Slab house? Septic? City sewer?

Problems like this often don't have obvious answers and a homeowner may not have the resources to deal with.

I'm a great fan of DIY, but some days you have to bite the bullet...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

If running water in the sink/tub causes sewage to back up into the tub, then you probably have a clogged or collapsed main drain.

When was the last time you had your tank pumped? Do you have a cleanout where the main drain leaves the house? What's around it that will get ruined if you open that and dump 50 gallons of sewage into the basement (or main floor)

Reply to
Goedjn

Since the blockage is common to the sink, tub, and toilet, I would remove the p-trap under the sink and snake the drain from there. It is easier than removing the toilet. If that doesn't work, removing the toilet would allow you to use a stiffer snake. Chemical drain cleaner may work if you are lucky and have the patience.

Does any drain elsewhere in the house causes water to come out of this tub? If not, then the main drain is not clogged -- that's good.

Reply to
peter