Clearing a Drain?

The drain in my shower is REAL slow. I tried using the standard drain cleaning chemicals, but they didn't do much to improve it. I'd like to auger or snake it out, but the opening is real small. Too small for my drain auger.

I found a nice 1/8" SS Wire, pretty stiff, which I tried sticking down the drain.

I found I can only get as far as the on/off plug. That is, the vertical up and down shut-off that opens and closes the drain to allow the tub to fill.

Any thoughts on the best way to clear such a small drain?

Reply to
Don Green

Here's how I clean my tub drain when it slows down. From the looks of it, it's mostly hair and soap scum slowing it. I run hot water to warm and fill the trap, then pour maybe 4-6 ounces of liquid dish detergent directly into the drain. Let it set overnight. Close the drain and fill the tub with hot water. Hold a wet rag over the over the overflow fitting and get a regular toilet plunger over the drain. Open the drain and pump the plunger like hell. You should see some crap coming up from the drain, but then the drain should empty the tub a normal pace. If I don't think it's normal, I repeat the entire process. Had to repeat the first time I did it, but since then once every few years does the trick. Try this before you go snaking the drain.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

If not a tub type drain you can clear it with a plunger. That's what I do with mine. Suction/pressure dislodges hair clogs.

Reply to
Frank

Don Green wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I use a plunger on mine.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Plunger works fine if you stuff a wet or dry rag into the overflow opening and block any airflow there. The crud will be loosened by some boiling hot water poured down the drain just before you plunge. Wear gloves and don't get burnt, but this will work perfectly 95% of the time.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Smitty Two wrote in news:prestwhich- snipped-for-privacy@mx02.eternal-september.org:

Does he fart into the drain?

Reply to
frag

I use the small auger, I think it's 1/4 or 3/8th inch, anyway the smallest one available at the big stores. I take the end and open it a bit, just enough to start snaking it through a section of the drain. Once started it will coil itself through till the entire head is in, then turn turn turn. Backing out just becareful it doesnt catch. Slow but surely id the way to go.

Reply to
jimmy

Yes. Use a Zip-It, which only costs a couple bucks and can be picked up at the local hardware or big box store. It's basically a long flexible plastic strip with reverse-facing teeth on each side. You slide it down the drain, then pull it back up, and all or most of the gunk is dragged back out on the zip-it.

These work very well, and since they're so cheap, I always keep a couple on hand. It's my first (and usually last) line of attack on a slow drain.

Hell Toupee

I also use a plunger. However, if you can get to the p trap remove it and clean out everything you can and reassemble. You'd be amazed what's stuck in there.

Reply to
zzyzzx

The zipit was what I was going to suggest. It or another version is sold at Home Depot on the plumbing aisle. Darn things work so well that the wife is now in charge of the tub drain. It's her hair clogging it so it is only fair for her to clean it. :)

The popup drain can be removed by turning it counter-clockwise though if you have never done it, it may be stuck. Be cautious about using tools to remove. It should never be more than hand tight. A little Vaseline on the threads will make it easier next time.

Reply to
Colbyt