Clearance in front of elec meter?

It is up to the electric utility, however if you ask, they'll probably tell you not to do it. Personally, I'd just go ahead and do it

Reply to
RBM

I have two electric meters mounted on the exterior of my duplex. I am looking to improve the landscaping along that area of the house and am considering placing a 6 foot tall lattice fence in front of the meters to conceal them along with the wiring. The fence would be hinged so that the power company would have easy access to read the meter. Is there a minimum distance I have to be from the meter or other clearance issues that I need to be aware of? I will be calling the power co in the morning, but am looking for any input here or other suggestions to help hide the meters.

Reply to
David Feyen

Putting a fence (or anything else) too close to the meter will start an electrical fire. Call the Fire Department for the required distance. It's probably around 6 feet, which means never put anything within 6 feet of the meter.

Reply to
no_email_yet

How did you arrive at that number?

In industrial settings, 36" is required in front of electrical panels. Only thing I'm sure of on an outdoor setting is the meter reader must have access to it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Your local serving utility will have a say in the clearence and so will the local building department. The NEC would only require 3 feet. One of the serving utilities we have would allow you to install a hinged gate 12 inches in front of the meter. As long as there the side clearences were maintained.

Reply to
SQLit

wrote

Well, DAMN!!

I better tell them to take it off of my house before IT burns down!!!!!

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Bwaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa! Man that was good! Totally incorrect, but funny as hell! Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

You must allow enough clearance in front of the meter for access and as a work space. Here in my jurisdiction, it is

36", but they have let me get by with 24" when circumstances demand.

And the meter will not set fire to anything, and despite what you have seen on Startrek, computers do not blow up.

Reply to
Robert Allison

"Robert Allison" wrote

Mine threw a rod once......