Clear Coat

I'd like to clear coat some wood for outdoor use. I don't want to use polyurethane because it yellows, is there a better solution?

Reply to
kellyj00

You cannot clear coat wood for outdoor use in any way that will hold up fopr very long. The reason is that truly clear coatings do not have any UV protection for themselves or for the wood underneath. The wood will degrade from UV underneath the coating.

This product will work pretty well, but it is not clear. It has some pigment in it.

Even coatings like this one need annual maintenance to stay nice looking.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Nope, every varnish that is oil based will have some yellowing. Oil finishes are nice but they too can darken the wood. With nothing, there will be graying of the wood over time.

The best spar varnishes do have some UV inhibitors, but none are perfect. There is nothing that is water clear that is suitable.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What kind of wood? Using for what? Water based poly yellows less than "varnish", but most wood yellows and/or darkens on exposure to sun.

Reply to
Norminn

Edwin Pawlowski spake thus:

I'd use spar varnish, and rejoice when it starts to turn that beautiful tawny color after a few seasons.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Norminn spake thus:

Just a small note here, and not to contradict you at all, but polyurethane *is* varnish, just like spar varnish and other oil-based varnishes. Just a different vehicle is all (polyurethane instead of alkyds and other resins).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl