Circuit breaker question

Several weeks ago I turned on my oven to preheat it. Some 15 minutes later I returned and it was cold. I finally checked the 40 A double-breaker and it was tripped. I reset it and the oven worked ok. I've used the oven since several times with no problem Can I stop worrying about it? I've never had a breaker trip like that for no reason before.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

A breaker may trip for no apparent reason. If it does it again, then worry. Did you have any other burners on the stove at the time ?

If you can , you may want to take the cover off the breaker panel and with the breaker turned off, check the screws to see if they are tight. While you are in there , you may want to do the same thing to all the other breakers. Sometimes over the years the screws may work loose or may not have been tightened enough when installes. This creats a hot spot and the breaker works off heat.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

"Stuff happens" occasionally...perhaps there was a transient at the same time or somesuch.

I'd suggest next time the oven is on and nearing end of a heating cycle so has been drawing power for a while to go feel the breaker and make certain it's not warm to touch--if not, I'd give permission to stop worrying. :)

If is, check connections (throw main feed breaker before removing cover, of course) for tightness and consider replacement...

Reply to
dpb

With heating elements you can have an intermittent short circuit, typically at one of the terminal ends. When they heat up they flex slightly, and if the terminal is very close to metal, it can short, sometimes burning away the metal that it came in contact with. It is also possible to have a bad connection at the breaker, or at the oven end. If this is the case, it will continue to deteriorate and ultimately leave you with an open circuit. It is also possibly a breaker going bad, again, if so, it will continue to deteriorate until it stops working.

Reply to
RBM

RBM probably pointed to the problem. Have you checked to see that both elements are still working? One may have blown open when it tripped the breaker.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe. Same thing happened to me and I reset the breaker and continued cooking.

But, with wife using oven, a couple of days later, breaker tripped and reset would not keep and broiler would not work. Short somewhere in stove. It was 18 years old so we replaced it.

Reply to
Frank

Start worrying -- STOP -- Letter with details to follow STOP.

Western Union

Reply to
micky

When you turned on the oven and went away, before you left, did you determine that the oven was actually on ?? If not, it may have happened that the breaker tripped before you turned the oven on ......and the problem would be separate from the oven.... But I agree with the previous advice that sometimes breakers trip for no apparent reason. No often, but it does happen. I suspect Chinese internet hackers.....

Reply to
Robert

As others have said, one trip of the CB is no big deal. My rule is: one trip = reset and do nothing. Two trips = look for an obvious problem (hot breaker, loose wire or connection, faulty cord, non-working appliance). Three trips = major problem someplace. Turn off the power, get out the multi-meter and find it.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Robert wrote in news:7679580e-190d-4017-95e0- snipped-for-privacy@i15g2000vbv.googlegroups.com:

No.

We'll see.

Reply to
KenK

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Seems to be three elements. A thick one at the bottom of the oven which has been the one I've paid attention to. It still glows when the oven is turned on. I think this is the important one for baking and roasting, which I do.

Then a small element above it which I think has something to do with broiling which I don't do and isn't lit with oven set for 400 or so, not broil. Then another at the top of a lower compartment with it's own door which I think is for broiling and is also not lit.

I think this is normal for baking and roasting.

Reply to
KenK

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in news:79Gdnfigs8sCRYbMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

This is a separate oven only, no burners.

Reply to
KenK

the lowest one in the separate drawer is usually a warming drawer and can't really be used for cooking.

Reply to
chaniarts

nZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

the oven may share the breaker with electric stove

Reply to
bob haller

They also cycle the top element, even when you are baking to even out the temperature. (on my Whirlpool anyway) You probably wouldn't notice if it went out but your turkey won't brown right. If you put it on "broil" nothing would happen if the top element was gone.

Reply to
gfretwell

Do you not have the manual? I tend to read the manuals for all of my appliances just to make sure I am getting the most out of them. I can't imagine having an oven with 2 compartments and 3 elements and not knowing how it all works.

Google is your friend.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

bob haller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h11g2000vbf.googlegroups.com:

Nope. New breaker and wiring when it was installed. Also, range is gas.

Reply to
KenK

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aioe.org:

I bought it used with no manual. For many years, up till now, I've had no problems - I just use it for baking and roasting and it's worked just fine.

Now, out of curiosity, I might try to DL a manual.

Reply to
KenK