Circuit breaker keeps tripping

All wires going into homes in this area *must* by code be underground.

Reply to
E. Robinson

Is your meter located indoor near the panel then? In our neighborhood no over hang wires at all electroic feeder comes up from the bottom of exterior wall into mounted meter, right behind meter is panel on inside wall usually.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That solves that, but you still could have water entering if a conduit (pipe) enters behind the breaker panel. Which caulk (silicone preferred) will seal. This all depends on where and how the pipe enters the panel.

Reply to
Paintedcow

The ones at the church, would trip breaker when I turned the light switch on. So, that's another mystery. Have you considered having a priest bless your house?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've learned to have the old one in hand while going to the hardware store. "I'd like one of these" is a good approach. BTW, if they are not too expensive, buy two and put the spare in the panel for next time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's perfectly fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I never heard of electronics engineers until I read this thread.

Reply to
Micky

Trader has some good answers some times but he loves to argue and he'll never give up, so don't expect his to see your side of this.

The whole question of whether anyone *should* have know is silly, except for a few essentials like people should know not to point a gun at someone if they don't intend to shoot him.

Reply to
Micky

I don't think he can do that.

He has empty spots where a new breaker could be placed, but it clearly says "Do not remove this twistout". I think he's stuck.

Reply to
Micky

I don't think he can do that.

He has empty spots where a new breaker could be placed, but it clearly says "Do not remove this twistout". I think he's stuck.

Sorry, I forgot the picture:

See?

Reply to
Micky

Clearly if your college taught you how to think, how to solve real problems, then you'd be able to apply those to solve your simple problem. Did they only teach you was how to answer test questions about Ohms law and electricity 101?

So a college has to teach you specifically on how to debug a simple house circuit? Not my college. I was taught principles and how to apply those to all kind of problems. Following your logic, unless you had a course that showed you how to approach a simple home circuit, you don't know WTF to do. It's like John Houseman, the actor said in Paper Chase. You come in here with a skull full of mush, you leave thinking like lawyers. Apply that to engineers.

Reply to
trader_4

Never said otherwise.

But that isn't at all what we have here. We have a guy who's an electrical engineer claiming he doesn't know how to debug a simple house circuit, because it wasn't taught in college.

Reply to
trader_4

The house may burn down if that dead short is now just a partial short. That Ohm's Law and basic electricity thing again.

The house may burn down if that dead short is now just a partial short. That Ohm's Law and basic electricity thing again.

Reply to
trader_4

And without it being covered, you can't figure out how to apply electricity 101, Ohm's Law, the very basics of electrical engineering that every degreed EE has to know? It's not an issue of how to wire a house. It's the simple issue of how to debug a very basic, very simple circuit right in front of you. As a senior in college, if a prof put that in front of you, you'd throw up your hands and say "Don't know what to do. We didn't have a course in circuit breakers and house circuits"? At my college every freshman could solve it.

Reply to
trader_4

...better have that checked...are we here to help or critique his place of matriculation?

Reply to
bob_villain

The meter is outside.

There is a power pole about 25 feet away with a transformer on it, just for me.

The wires go into the ground at that point, and then come back up into the meter on the OUTSIDE of the attached garage.

Reply to
E. Robinson

It's a little complicated by the automatic power generator (Generac) switch which is also attached on the inside of the garage just on the other side of the meter (which is on the outside) of the garage.

Reply to
E. Robinson

I noticed the same thing. It seems to be full.

Reply to
E. Robinson

Look, I did help him. I told him to try switching wires with an adjacent breaker. And it wasn't I that introduced his education into it. It was the OP. He's claiming that a degreed electrical engineer doesn't have the training to be able to debug that simple problem. I find that sadly ridiculous and not reflective of the many EE's that I know. He seems to expect that he has to have a course on how to debug house circuits, instead of just applying electricity 101, which is even less than EE level.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm not looking up thread, so I may be missing some details. I am only responding to this post...

If I saw a panel cover with a marking that said ""Do not remove this twistout" I would want to know why. I would pull the cover and look at area behind the twistout to see if I could determined why it was labeled that way. I would not assume the panel was full.

Reply to
DerbyDad03