Circuit breaker box hisses

You are not reading the thread - or responding to it.

My response was to the following - and I quote " If he wants to be completely safe, pull the meter until you can get an electrician."

Someone said to pull the meter and call an electrician. I'm not talking about repairing the fault. Pulling the meter is NOT something a homeowner should do - and it is NOT necessary to render the bad connection safe. Throwing the main breaker disconnects all loads from the service- making the bad connection a non issue and totally safe untill the electrician arrives and has the utility do the disconnect - either by pulling the fuse on the pole, or pulling the meter.

You call yourself a "tekkie". I'm not so sure.

Reply to
clare

You need to know the story behind that "tamper alerm".

It has been told on this forum before - - - -

Reply to
clare

There's a Cat in your breaker box. Let him out and he will stop hissing!

Reply to
Fiveoclock.somewhere

Sure that's a cat?

A friend of mine, one electrical socket was not working. I took the panel cover off, and went to try the window air conditioner. She was standing in the cellar watching the box. I came down stairs and she said it had been sparking "up here", pointing towards the upper right. The neutral wire had loosened up. I went up and down the row and tightened them all, and things worked fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

a cat with racing stripes?? Or a possum?

Reply to
clare

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Strengthening your forearm.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Sorry, I didn't read that. But then again I don't read many of these thread s because they go into another orbit.

If I promise to read your stuff more carefully will you forgive me?

Do you see the part in your reply where you state to pull the meter, then later state it is not necessary. Flip the breaker. I am sorry if I'm confused but did I read it correctly? Not trying to be confrontational but perhaps I mixed replies up...

Reply to
Tekkie®

I thiunk you did, because the only place I wrote "pull the meter" as an instruction was in quotes - " If he wants to be completely safe, pull the meter until you can get an electrician." quoting what another poster had recommended, and saying "Pulling the meter is NOT something a homeowner should do - and it is NOT necessary to render the bad connection safe"

Reply to
clare

is NOT necessary to render

Okay, I'll pay more attention.

Some of these threads seem to be genetically modified.

Reply to
Tekkie®