Cinder block steps and window wells

Hi there. My older home (1957) has an outside entrance to the basement. The stairwell enclosure seems to be just standard cinder blocks mortared together. The steps also seem to be constructed of cinder blocks topped off by a thin layer of cement where some of this thin layer of cement has cracked and chipped away, etc. I also have two back of the house window wells that are also constructed of cinder blocks. Some of the tops of the above ground cinder blocks have eroded away and I'm looking to replace that top row block(s).

Some of the tops of the cinder blocks of the stairwell enclosure (just a few inches above ground level) have eroded away where it is time to probably just take out that cinderblock and replace with a new block (or replace the entire top row of cinder blocks (we're talking maybe a total of 10 or 12 blocks).

What is the cement composition that I should use - sand mix, mortar mix, etc when I reset new top blocks into the window wells and/or stairwell enclosure? Also, similar question as to what do I use to resurface the tops of the steps that have that thin layer of cement that has cracked and/or chipped away?

Thanks, Walt

Reply to
Wally

mortar mix for block work, its sticky so it will stay put.

as to stairs themselves, remove all loose and bad material use a hammer.

then use a bonding agent thats painted on, then a top and bond material.

wait a couple months and apply concrete sealer liberally......

it will prevent water absorbtion into the surface that does so much damage, espically in freezing weather

Reply to
bob haller