Chraftsman 18hp. twin fuel problem

We have an 18 hp. twin fuel pump on the side of the carb . It was working fine and then quit . It appeared that it was lack of gas as it would start and run as long as you pored the gas in the carb . I rebuilt the fuel pump and it still wasn't getting fuel . I took the top off the carb and it was bone dry . I replaced the needle valve and it still didn't get fuel . This time when the carb was apart I poured some gas in the bowl and poured gas to the fuel pump line doing it several times and turning it over to prime the pump . When I put the carb back together it started right up and ran good . I took it out to try mowing with it an again after about 10 minutes it acted like it was starving for gas . Then it stalled again . Same problem . The fuel pump seems to be powered by a vacum hose coming up from the crankcase . Is there anything in the crankcase (filter)or something that would plug up ? I can feel som air coming out of the hose when I turn it over . I can suck fuel out of the gas line at the fuel pump connection from the tank...Any ideas...Rick

Reply to
Rick

Don't know them well (actually, at all :) ), but a couple of general ideas -- sure there isn't a crack in the vacuum line leaking? Ends are notorious for developing same -- if have a little extra line, I'd cut off length that's on the fitting on each end and try just as an easy thing to do...

What about a leaking gasket(s) on the intake side? Any chance of an air leak there? The carb cleaner spray test while it's running is good for finding leaks although may not help much on that side since it's all fuel, supposedly. Although if it's in the vacuum path, could help...

Would need to know the engine and model number to try to find parts diagrams to see how they're actually built to get farther or more specific...

Reply to
dpb

On the side of the motor, there is a cover that's about one inch wide, and three inches up and down. It's held on with two bolts, you'll need 1/4 or 5/16 nut driver. This cover exposes the ends of the valves (you will see two coil springs). This cover is also a check valve. Every time the piston goes "down", this valve releases a little bit of air. Soak the cover in gasoline or kerosine for awhile, dry it out, and see if that helps. They get full of grease and junk.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nothing like a gasket *placed incorrectly* in the fuel pump repair.?

I get nervous when I have parts left over in a carb rebuild. :-)

-- Oren

Oren

Thanks for the info , I'll check the cover also . It is getting some air but it doesn't seem like very much to me . Rick

Reply to
Rick

photo..- Hide quoted text -

I have disasembled the pump already . Just to be sure , I checked to make sure I didn't have the gasket reversed and that all the springs are in place. Rick

Reply to
Rick

Rick wrote in news:1181234538.528546.153290 @p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

It's pretty simple but maybe the problem: have you checked that the gas tank vent isn't plugged?

Reply to
Clark

Yes the vent is in the cap , I tried it with the cap off also. Rick

Reply to
Rick

make sure that pulse line to the pump is tight on both ends sir

ds549

Any idea where the plate would be ? I have looked the engine over and checked the parts schematic and can't find it. Rick

Reply to
Rick

You guys may not be talking about the same motor.

Reply to
Meat Plow