Changing Oil in Snowblower

Gotta use the snowblower for 1st time this year. Haven't had a chance to change the oil since last year.

Bought it last year and used it about 10 to 15 hours.

It's a Sears 9.5hp two-stage unit. Manual recommends changing oil every 25 hours or on a yearly basis.

Can I use it today safely without changing oil right now?

Thanks

anonymous

Takes about 16 to 20 ounces of oil. If you have the tools, I'd do the oil change. Use a good brand, not the discount store brand of oil. Cost you about a dollar and a half in oil. Isn't it worth it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Yea, use it today and change the oil when you are done. Draining the oil right after use is preferred as the oil takes out more of the gunk with it and it drains better warm. You will not do any damage to the engine, but do it soon. I'll bet you don't have oil handy so buy some next time you go out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Consider a good grade of syn oil. Match the viscosity of course. I converted my truck and generator a year ago, never regretted the decision.

Reply to
SQLit

That would be a very good idea for a snow blower as it should help cold weather starts.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Most manufacturers recommend changing the oil after two hours of initial operation to get rid of break in oil. Since you ran it way past that another couple hours wont doo any more damage. Change it while it is hot when your finished.

Reply to
Randd01

It would be better to change it at the end of the snow-season. Used oil has contaminents that aren't always that friendly to the insides of the engine. Even if you use it once or twice after that (hey who knows when the last snow fell) that is still better than leaving a full season of old oil in there. Change it when it is hot, drains faster and more oil.

Rein

I tend to agree, but there are two problems with this procedure. Human nature, and who knows the date of the last snowfall? ;-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That's why I said; Even if you use it once or twice after that. It's still better this way. HEck, oil is so cheap, you could even replace it near the end of the season, and drain/refill it again when you are sure that the season is over. (without heating it up)

Rein