Chainsaw questions

I have a Husky 345 chainsaw. It starts ok and runs, but I have to have the choke pulled out about half way, or it slows down and dies. I took off the cover and blew out the air filter, and around the carb, plus when I sharpened the chains, I blew it all out all around.

The carb looks like a lot of others on 2 cycle trimmers/saws. It looks easy to take off. Should I mess with it to clean it?

There are two screws that have high and low marked on the access holes. I would assume these are for the high and low speed jets. Should I try these first to set the high speed jet? And what is the best way to safely do that?

To sharpen it, I clamp the bar in a 4" vise. Would that be safe for holding it while running to set the high speed screw?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

My neighbor has been fixing these things for a living for 30 years. I brought my leaf blower over to him this fall because it was doing the same thing.

He told me to dump the gas & get a new can- and he put a few drops of this stuff in the gas tank

"Start Your Engines! Fuel System Revitalizer 4 oz. Item # 21205 Only $6.95

Forgot to add fuel stabilizer to your tank before storing for the Winter? No worries with this incredible new product. Start Your Engines! is designed to ensure easy starting of outdoor power equipment, smooth rough idling and stalling, and helps remove gum and varnish from the carburetor. Intended for year-round use, it's particularly effective when used at the start of every season and as a mid-year tune-up. Works on all 2 cycle and 4 cycle gasoline engines. "

Damned if it didn't cure it in about an hour of use. First additive since Marvel mystery Oil that I can say I believe in.

I never have any luck cleaning carbs. By the time you mess up the gaskets, lose a tiny bearing, stretch a spring, melt a seal or introduce a speck of dirt- you might just as well have bought a new carb. Those chinamen are turning them out for next to nothing these days. [maybe not for a Husqvarna-- but I don't think you need to disassemble that one]

I wouldn't-- Clamp/screw the saw body down to a bench or log. [or hold with one hand while adjusting with the other]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: