Ceramic tile on kitchen floor?

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

if you lay the floor out right your cuts should be along edges where the base goes. usually won't even see or notice them.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

The proper way to cut porcelain tile is to use a wet saw with an adjustable, fresh, diamond blade. First you make a shallow cut, about 1/8" into the face, then you adjust the blade for a deeper cut and cut the through the tile.

If you rush it or use an inferior blade or saw, you will chip the tile.

This article describes the process nicely.

IMHO, the lifetime benefits of porcelain far outweigh the minimal extra effort required to install the tile.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

All "diamond" blades are not created equally. Cheap blades do not have a lot of diamond on them in the first place.

Agreed. We have a lot of tile here and porcelain is better.

Reply to
gfretwell

my comments on tile in the kitchen

most anything you drop will break feels cold on bare or stocking feet in the winter its a lot of weight on the joists and they may sag

makolber

This I can agree with .

Maybe .

This is total bullshit . If you have sagging joists there are other problems besides the weight of the tile .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

You might not be able to see it making a difference but it does. Try it. Water resistant or water proof making tape is best. Duct tape might work too.

Reply to
clare

+1
Reply to
clare

It's a shame the OP vanished from the thread after the initial post. Maybe he was just pulling everyone's leg.......

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

SHIEEEEETTTTT MOFOCO !!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Stormin' Norman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, just away from home for a while, without the computer.

Thanks to all who responded. I'm going to do my best to talk her into a tile floor. I know about non-slip tiles; personally, I wouldn't use any tile on a kitchen floor that I wouldn't use on a bathroom floor -- it's just as easy to spill water on a kitchen floor as on a bathroom floor. I'm not sure why she's concerned about fatigue, when I do 80% or more of the cooking. As for damage to -- or caused by -- dropped dishes, well, don't drop them, right?

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:A06Nz.19498$ snipped-for-privacy@fx24.iad:

like

Can you be more specific?

Reply to
Doug Miller

songbird wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@anthive.com:

Sheet linoleum...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Our kitchen has sheet vinyl and it looks as good as it did when we bought the house 20 years ago. It's pretty thick stuff, and tough. I put some cheap vinyl in my previous house, and found out it easily nicked. No nicks in my current kitchen. My bathroom has porcelain tile. I used to think porcelain tile was the cat's meow, and still like it a Florida house - everywhere. But as long as you have quality work done, it all comes to personal preference. Don't worry about it.

Reply to
Vic Smith

They're getting long in the tooth, and tend to drop things more frequently then they used to. Where a drop on vinyl, linoleum or engineered flooring won't generally cause breakage, their experience has been that tile almost always does cause breakage.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Linoleum is a rare product these days, it has mostly been replaced by sheet PVC. Inlaid linoleum was very tough except it was very flammable. It was originally developed for the US Navy for the interior decks of warships. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Navy ordered it removed from surface combatants because of the inflammability of the product. Surprisingly, it continued to be used in submarines until after the war.

Your wife is likely thinking about sheet vinyl flooring or PVC. In my humble opinion, vinyl flooring looks very cheap and I have experienced it being torn by moving a refrigerator and by replacing a dishwasher.

Tile, on the other hand, can increase the value and salability of your home and it is fireproof. If the hardness of the product is a concern, simply purchase a couple of anti-fatigue mats for the most used areas, e.g. cooktops, sinks, etc. See:

I am in my mid 90's and am not allowed to discuss the age of my wife, but neither of us get fatigued when working in the kitchen. We very rarely break anything in the kitchen, I would estimate we break one glass a year.

All that said, if you can't demonstrate the logic of tile to your wife, I would suggest you just do what she wants and let her own it, maybe you can get out of washing the floors.......

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Don't you have to seal the grout periodically? What a pain!

That's what stops me. China will break and cast iron or maybe even lighter stuff will break the tile.

Because she's the secondary cook? And will be, primary if you ever retire, get sick, or are overthrown?

This house came with vinyl linoleum (not really linoleum), one piece as wide as the room. Water doesn't penetrate it. I dropped quite a few things on it, including glasses iirc and only 1 thing ever broke, iirc. If the stuff were more expensive it might be even bouncier.

It looked great until I bought 2 kitchen chairs with wheels. They rolled out the top layer, with the pattern, like a rolling pin rolls out a pie crust. Did more damage in 6 months than the previous 6 years (which had done none).

So I looked for vinyl linoleum with the color and pattern going all the way through. Like Congoleum, but the don't make that anymore. (In

1960 they mailed us a sample in the form of a circle. Must have been a good plan because 40 years later, Iwanted to buy some.) It's too stiff to roll up so iirc, storage, transporting, and installing are all more difficult. But there are sheet products better than what I had. I forget if any will withstand chairs with wheels (moving while someone is sitting in them) and I don't know if you have any.

That leaves 9 and 12" vinyl or something or other tiles. They sound like a good idea.

Reply to
micky