The plastic bottles of HCl emit steady fumes. Eats most metals including
chromium and nickel. Greatly accelerated by condensing humidity.
Liquid pool chlorinator typically degrades into HCl and O3, both nasty to
metals. Shouldn't be stored because it loses it potentcy in weeks anyway.
Dry forms are more stable and less of an incidental corrosion hazard.
SOME tile guys say that. The "widely used" practice disagrees.
Most but not all glazes are inert to acid. I believe all my specific
cautions and qualifications covered your objections. Dilute, test
compatibility, don't inhale, ventilate, etc. No question, it is easily
misused to great harm, but properly applied, blah, blah.
FYI, definition of "frit", per MW Dictionary:
1 : the calcined or partly fused materials of which glass is made
2 : any of various chemically complex glasses used ground especially to
introduce soluble or unstable ingredients into glazes or enamels
Of course they don't recommend it. No manufacturer will any longer even
hint at doing anything that could make them liable for anything even in the
most extreme case. That doesn't change the fact that the way to get set
grout or mortar off of tile/brick/whatever is to eat it off with acid. Nor
that it is done everyday on a regular basis.
dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
Humans have e. coli in their guts to help digest food. They have staph
bacteria in small numbers on their skin. Either one, where it doesn't
belong, such as in the bloodstream, can kill. Most bacteria, in
attacking the body, produce toxins. Some of them, chemically, do really
nasty stuff like liquify tissue.
Drinking too much water can kill you by diluting circulating chemicals.
Too much or too little potassium can zap the electrical circuitry in
Leaded crystal is lovely to look at, but drinking something from it that
causes the lead to leach can kill you.
Aspirin can cure a headache or forestall a heart attack. Can also
poison you by a number of actions, including upsetting the blood cell
production in your body or eating up the lining of your gut.
Before we get to the grout and cleaning the glaze, be sure to protect
yourself whilst cutting the tile. This is a good article on what stuff
does to lungs (silica dust - sand - from tile, wood filler, etc.)
It's good, in a way, that there are so many "smoke free" places where we
can enjoy good health - until we jump into our gas-guzzling monster
machines, run over to McD's for some grease, run home and put another
log on the fireplace, and go out in the garage to get some poison to
kill whatever that is that is crawling in the kitchen/bath/garden/lawn.
Be sure to wash your hands before you grab a snack :o) Anti-bacterial
soap is no longer recommended, I believe. We've bred resistant bacteria
that now can get us even swimming in the ocean (aka garbage dump).
Don't even think about going to a hospital, lest you catch something you
didn't have when you got there :o)
I'm doing one now in my home with tumbled marble. Apply two coats of
sealer to the surface first and let it dry. Sure it's a lot of work but
would you rather roll sealer over the surface twice or wear out your
arms scrubbing out grout. In my book there is no decision to make.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.