Central Vacumn Unit Installation

I am looking for some advice regarding installation of a Central Vacumn Unit.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Raleigh_3_Speed

Don't. Put your money in a good vacuum. The hoses are a pain to drag around and don't work any better, probably worse, than a good vacuum and cost lots of $$$. Also heaven help you if a pipe got a leak or a wire inside a wall came loose. How dragging around that big fricken hose is better than a vacuum is beyond me. If you want it because of dust, the new vacuums have hepa filters, and our Dysan doesn't spew any dust at all. My wife has asthma and she says it doesn't bother her at all. Since we liked our Dysan better, I removed it. It also freed up a lot of space in my garage.

Reply to
TH

dont bother.

its far easier to push a vacuumn than drag the hose assembly around your home.

its a sounds great product till you live with it awhile.

this is what almost everyone who has one says.......

Reply to
hallerb

If you are dragging a big hose around maybe you need more outlets. A 10 foot plastic hose doesn't sound like much work to me.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

I have had one in each of my last two homes. that was a total of about 20 years. My next home will also have one. I find them more convenient, easier to use and more efficient than the alternatives.

I will agree with some situations they may not be as convenient, but I have lived with uprights, canisters and central. I am sticking with central.

Clearly there are differences of opinion. I may reflect different needs or it may reflect poor instillation of the central system.

Reply to
jmeehan

I would not say everyone. I have just the opposite view. See prior response on this matter.

Reply to
jmeehan

robot vac. grrrreeeeeate!

Joe

your home..its a sounds great product till you live with it awhile. this is what almost everyone who has one says.......<

Uh, NO. Everyone I know that has one (5), well the WIVES say they re great they would never go back to the corded type. Mine is on her 3rd one (3rd new house)

Reply to
Rudy

The hoses are actually 25 or 30 ft but are light and slide easily on every surface

Reply to
Rudy

What exactly are you looking for ? I suppose you have GOOGLED &#39;Central Vacuum Installation&#39;

Reply to
Rudy

Agree.

I have one a few years now. Since it was installed without major renovation, I have a 40 foot hose. Still easier to manage than a haul around. Has more suction, quiet, empty the unit a lot less often, what&#39;s not to like?

Reply to
Dan Espen

I put one in during my renovation and wouldn&#39;t hesitate to do it again. For advice on selecting, most of the web sites that sell also have charts or tables on selecting a unit. In the time since I did mine, they came out with a self storing hose that slides back into the in wall tubing. I&#39;d do it again. Mark

Reply to
mark

Strangely, SEARS in Canada sells about 6+ different performance/accessory/motor levels of Central Vacs. In the USA, they don&#39;t sell ANY..Hmmm, odd. We&#39;ve had Two from Sears: first one Branded Craftsman (c. 1988) and the newest one (2004) reads Kenmore. I&#39;d do it again. They re available to view on the CANADIAN SEARS web pages:

but not even a mention on the US site.

Reply to
Rudy

pages:

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Someone asked if I could install one in his 3-story condo.

After some research and seeing what was involved, I declined the project.

Installing the piping in the walls sound like way too much fun for me. :-)

Reply to
Raleigh_3_Speed

The one piece of advice I can give is regarding the powerhead.

Go with the hoover windtunnel. We&#39;ve had much more expensive ones and cheaper ones. The Hoover windtunnel powerhead for central vacs is the best in our experience. Be sure to buy the current model. It is significantly better than the original put out 5 or so years ago but has the same model number. In other words don&#39;t look for a used one on ebay. You can get it delivered for $289 from vacdepot. We have a fancy European one that cost almost double and sold it on ebay. It wasn&#39;t as good as the Hoover.

Reply to
Art

Another suggestion.

The original Nutones had lifetime warranty on motors. If you can find one of those you are set for life. It includes labor I believe. Current model is short warranty like everyone else. I have a Nutone with 2 fan motors and it works great with a hoover head.

Reply to
Art

"Rudy" wrote in news:L7ebk.54152$Jx.3996@pd7urf1no:

3rd husband too :-)
Reply to
Red Green

Ackshully, she keeps me around cause I do such a great job installing Central vacs (and toilets, and cabinets, and sinks, and wiring, and drywall and irrigation systems etc) ;-)

Reply to
Rudy

To the original question regarding installation, well it depends. On new construction, it&#39;s relatively easy because you have open access. If you&#39;re talking about adding central vac to a house, no way I&#39;d do it. While I have central vac and like it, it would be far too difficult to retrofit and not worth the trouble.

Reply to
trader4

I agree.

With what the labor and parts would cost, customer could hire a maid for 5 years. :-)

Andy

Reply to
Raleigh_3_Speed