Central Vac

HI last week my Kenmore Central Vac starting crapping out. When you plug the hose into an outlet it starts for a second and then shuts off. You then have to hit the reset button on the unit to get it to start again. Any ideas? Thanks :-)

Reply to
cjk

New motor brushes or relay might be in order.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Possible motor bearings not sealed type and oiling may get you a bit more life.

Reply to
m Ransley

Could be an overcurrent starting problem. Start by servicing the motor unit; oil the bearings, check/replace the brushes, clean out trapped dust bunnies and such. Check the motor for obviously burnt windings, and bad commutator segments. If it looks suspect, get out your parts list and check prices for replacemnt motors. Then take it to an old fashioned motor repair shop and get their cost estimate for repair before deciding which is most cost effective. Switches and relays may be part of the problem and should be checked, or if the parts cost is reasonable might be simply replaced as likely wear item.

HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

My Kenmore Central Vac is 18 years old now. A few years ago, it exhibited the same problem. A quick check of the motor brushes showed that they had worn down. Replacing the motor brushes eliminated the problem. They're available from the Sears parts dept, either on-line, or with a call to the Sears parts tel number. On-line

to the bottom of the page and click on 'Parts" On the Parts page, enter your model number in the search window. Mine was 116.4023280 If your model is listed, click on 'Continue'. Next Page, click on 'Unit Parts' Check for 'Kit: Brush Replacement'. about halfway down in the list. Mine was part number 568980. #22 in the diagram

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

How old is it ? We re on our second Kenmore CV (we moved) and IIRC, the warranty is 10 years. Check it out and have Sears do the service call if its still covered. R

Reply to
Rudy