Central furnace cuts off just after starting

Ruud Silhouette II, automatic pilot Started it up for the first time this season- pilot glows, gas blows in and starts burning for a few seconds then flames and pilot die. Blowing cold air.

Reply to
Jon

Forgot to mention only the chamber on the side with the pilot starts burning, no flames at all on the other side.

Reply to
Jon

Sounds like a bad thermocouple. Safety circuit will close the gas valve if the burner doesn't warm up quick enough.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Probably a safety device doing its job. Please tell us what the repaair tech finds.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you expect it to blow hot air after only a few seconds??

Reply to
hrhofmann

What repair tech? After doing some research online I blew it all out with an air hose and it is now working fine. Something was clogged up with dust or whatever.

Reply to
Jon

Yes. It always did before.

Reply to
Jon

You just experienced the KISS principle of repair. I went on four service calls today and one was "no trouble found" and two were "wire unplugged" and the other was a "spring out of place". All very simple repairs that required me to drive all over the darned county. I spent more time on hold with dispatch than I did repairing things. I never ceased to be amazed at the simple things I find wrong. I do have a head scratcher every now and then, things like hairline cracks, pinhole leaks and I've not only found bugs in equipment but I found an electrocuted mouse across the power terminals of a compressor. I love my work.

*snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Stand by for repeat occurance. Since you're not sure what was wrong, or what you changed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had the same symptom with the same brand and model name. Mine has the electric igniter surface, not a pilot light.

The problem with mine was the flame sensor. A very light sanding and it has been working well for the past two years.

Reply to
Tony Sivori