Cement sidewalk

The sidewalk section is removed, the bed of the section is coated with rocks, and the section is framed for the new concrete sloped at a very nice angle. I have the cement float and 2 types of edgers to put the sections to the slab.

Can anyone elaborate on the process to use when installing a load of

3500 psi, with air, cement from a mixer truck? Thanks, in the past I have always used the 80 lb bags from HD, but not this time. And, what is a good sealer for the new cement, and when should it be applied?

Thanks, Fish

Reply to
Fish

How many square feet are you talking about? How many helpers do you have? Have you done this before? What kind of access will the truck have to the project?

Concrete is very heavy and it is time sensitive. The driver will expect to be able to deliver and be out of there quickly. Except for a very small project that takes a lot of people to do the work and the less experience they have the more it takes.

Also consider that if you don't work the concrete correctly it is going to be weak and you can expect the surface to scale in a year or two. Doing it right is something of an art form developed with experience.

I hope all this has convinced you that you need someone on site who really knows what they are doing when that truck arrives.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The truck will dump and you will have to spread and screed immediately. Once he is gone, you won't be able to fill in any low spots. Actual finishing can then take place. Also good to have a spot to dump any excess.

Sealer? Never. Billions of square feet of unsealed concrete abound in the world for over a hundred years with no sealers on them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

have a good friend who cheaped out some years ago, he and his kids layed the concrete.

it was HOT he didnt know to keep it moist and cover it.

the entire job turned back to gravel:( really, hazatd to walk on lawsuit city if you ask me...

get a knowledgable friend to help at least the first time..........

Reply to
hallerb

I might suggest a sealer for those who are in cold snowy areas. Allow the concrete to cure and in the fall use a water based sealer. This is best done the first year. It is less important after than. It can help keep the salt off the concrete. Frankly I believe a better solution is to place it in the early spring and try to keep your car(s) off it if they have any salt on them the first winter.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I wonder if he is asking about curing solution instead of a sealer. I usually have curing solution delivered with the concrete.

Reply to
Pat

Joseph,

"Also consider that if you don't work the concrete correctly it is going to be weak and you can expect the surface to scale in a year or two. Doing it right is something of an art form developed with experience."

I was looking for a clarification of the art form.

Thank you.

Reply to
Fish

In any case, I used Quikrete sealer/curer. I figured if there was a way to preserve the concrete longer than 50 years, hey, I would try it.

Reply to
Fish

"it was HOT he didnt know to keep it moist and cover it."

Luckily i put down the concrete by 5 pm, the next morning applied the quikrete sealer/cure, I am hoping it was kept moist enough.

Reply to
Fish

Pat,

Both. I bought a sealer curing solution.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fish