Ceiling fan hum

We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom that started to hum last week, I watched some howto videos on-line and most of the time the capacitor for the lower speeds was the suspect. So to test I turned the fan on FULL to eliminate the capacitor, but the humming persists.

My suspicion is that its the bearing, but I wanted a second opinion before I start to rip the whole thing apart.

Make: Hunter

Thank You.

Reply to
sidwelle

Would spinning it by hand help narrow things down? Try it both directions.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Seems unlikely that a bearing would cause a hum. IDK how all they use a cap in these, but seems a cap could be used at the higher speed too.

Reply to
trader_4

Teach it the lyrics and it will sing instead of hum.

Reply to
Hawk

Is the hum speed-dependant? When the fan starts from 0 to final speed, does the hum frequency also increse?

Does your fan go in two directions? Not manually but electrically. What is the hum like in the other direction?

I didn't think ceiling fans spun enough to wear out a bearing. I have table fans that I've used for years and the bearings are fine, and they spin much much faster. Unless ceiling fans allow for this by using cheaper bearings? Seems unlikely since the fans cost so much more.

What happens if you hold the blades while you turn the fan on so that it can't spin. Does it still hum? If so, it's not the bearing. (I wouldn't try catching it once it's already spinning, unless maybe I used a catcher's mitt.)

Humming or vibrating? How to describe the difference? I guess it's the previous paragraph.

Reply to
micky

Check the spark plug.  Is this a two or four stroke?

Reply to
mickey

Manual Spin: Spinning the fan manually or letting it spin up on its own and cutting power does not produce any hum.

Sound: From the frequency of the hum, its definitely power-supply related.

New Observation: As you watch the blades spin at lower speeds or while they are starting up, you notice the hum becomes louder at one particular location. (watch one blade, and as it passes a particular location the hum increases and then decreases after it passes)

May not be bearing, may be motor or communicator related ? Could be resistance at one location on the bearing or comm' ?

Now Observation: Today it took about 2 min for the hum to start from off on first power on. (fan had been off for a week, couldn't sleep w/noise)

Holding on to the blades: No Hum Hum Both directions: Yes Speed-dependent: No

Thanks

Reply to
sidwelle

Bad bearings load the motor down and the windings cause vibrations.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Maybe just a slightly tilted blade?

Reply to
philo

Or maybe a loose winding. Sometimes you need to shim the winding with something as small as a toothpick or two - or tighten a stator bolt

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I think we have a winner ;-)

As these things get old and the insulating membranes start to deteriorate the windings can resonate at 60hz. Silly putty or duct seal pushed in at the offending point might stop it. I would still be doing my poking wearing a voltage rated glove or an insulated stick if I was looking for the bad spot

Reply to
gfretwell