Ceiling Fan -fan switch troubles

Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I have a hunter ceiling fan with a seperate fan and light pull chain. My better half pulled the chain out of the fan switch, it was a 3 speed switch high, medium, low & off. I went to the depot and bought a new switch, it was a four wire switch so I bought the same thing. On the old switch, the wires were in the following slots: L = black, 1 = grey, 2 = brown, 3 = green. So, I wired the new switch with the colors into the same numbers. (However, the numbers were in different locations on the switch.) I started the fan and the switch now switches with each pull as high, high, high, low then it repeats. No off or medium. I pulled the switch out and I matched the colors this time to the same location from the old switch, L stayed in the same spot. Reinstalled and it still goes high, high, high, low. Depot doesn't have any other 4 wire switches, so how do I get this thing to work right? Thanks!

Reply to
Ron P

Gee, I wish I had your problem -- I replaced a fan switch and thought I was careful to move the four wires to the same place on the new switch. But now the fan doesn't work at all!

Reply to
The Streets

Sounds like the switch is bad.

Reply to
Terry

Does anyone know if the hot lead goes to the L position on the switch?

Reply to
The Streets

"L" usually represents line, which is the power in

Reply to
RBM

You have the common on the wrong terminal.

The common is black.

The black goes to the "L" terminal.

You can find out what the other speeds are by taking all the wires loose and wire nutting the black to each wire one at a time.

Put the number(or use a color) of the speed on each wire as you check them. The numbers will match the numbers on the switch.

A piece of tape and a marker works

Reply to
Terry

On Tue 22 Apr 2008 04:03:26p, Ron P told us...

Order a replacement from Hunter for the model you have.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright wrote in news:Xns9A893812C363Bwayneboatwrightatari@69.28.173.184:

Or contact Hunter. Phone or email: