caulking question

a neighbor of mine has water leaking into his den during heavy rains and we were wondering if it would be advisable to caulk the joint that is between the house and a concrete patio.the joint has the expansion board? in it and the board edge is about an inch below the patio surface.also, what would be the best kind of caulk? i was at HD and there were many types of caulk. should i go with the mortar crack type? any help/info is appreciated cj

Reply to
cj

I imagine the reason the water leaks into the house is beacause the concrete is poured about his stucco screed. I had a house that did the exact same thing. The concrete walkway was poured way to high in comparison to the foundation. I had to rip out the sidewalk, dig down and pour it a much lower elevation. The concrete should be lower than the finish floor of the slab.

But, if you just want a 'patch' job, they make caulking for concrete. Its used on stamped concrete, pool decks, etc. It holds up nicely, but is not cheap. Check to see if you have a White Cap building supply store in your area. They sell many concrete caulks in different colors.

Reply to
ephedralover

You can try, but it is worthless unless that patio is sloping away from the home.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan