Carrier vs. Lennox -- Thermidistat questions

Hi there ...

Okay ... re: my quest for a central A/C unit with humidity control.

I am getting bids from both Carrier and Lennox on systems with variable speed air handlers and "thermidistat" control.

I'm starting to lean towards straight electric vs. heat pump because of the small size of my condo unit.

Question -- do any of you have any recent experience on the comparitive reliability issues on Carrier vs. Lennox?

Most importantly -- are there any less heavily advertised manufacturers out there who have the variable speed air handlers and the humidity regulators?

Thanks!

Ax

Reply to
Axinar

You might try posting this on alt.hvac

Reply to
Roger

alt.hvac is nothing more than a few "wanna be, think theu know it alls"

- whose only response to anything to do with hvac from posters other than their select few of 15-25 peeps is something you do not want...

stay out of alt.hvac - it's like an NNTP toilet, they're full of $h1t.

Reply to
Gate

straight electric = high utility bills no mater what size your condo is...

Carrier reliability? Very! Experience there. Lennox? unknown - no experience.

The cheap product manufacturers generally stay away from offering products other thatn simple cheap units - that's why they are cheap...

Go with a Carrier Puron HeatPump, air handler with add-on [emergency] electric heat elements (5kW - 10kW?) and the Thermidistat OR look into the Infinity System - you will $ave on energy costs for sure!

peace,

Reply to
Gate

Hold up ... let's do some math ...

So far it's looking like it's going to cost me at least $500 to go with the heat pump option.

My heat bill, at most is $50/mo in the winter.

The heat pump under best circumstances would have 2X the energy efficiency, so, $25 X 6 = $150/yr saved. $500/$150 = 3 years just to pay for the heat pump.

Now, if the thing is going to last 20 years it starts to make some sense, but what kind of life span does on see on a typical Carrier or Lennox heat pump?

Ax

Reply to
Axinar

basic warranty is 5 year parts, extendable to 10... Equipment, no matter who makes them or how "good" they are, are only as good as the installer. If the installer does not do his job right, then it doesn't matter what equipment you choose. Carrier heatpumps last for a good while. They are actually running a special on their site, and with authorized dealers for people who trade-in their old carrier equipment, they get an extra bonus (discount). There are units out there

20 years old and older. Like I say, no matter the equipment, a good installer is what saves you $$ in the long term. 17 SEER heatpump, will save you approx. 60% of your current monthly bill. think about it. ;-)
Reply to
Gate

Go for the heat pump where else can you get a 33 % return on your money. Both Carrier and Lennox have this type of system

Reply to
ken moreno