Actually it is worth it. In the type I make, about 1/3 of the wax ends up
being remade into new candles. I dont have beeswax (costs too much).
Agreed the cheap airfluffed walmart stuff isnt worth the price.
So, the other poster doesn't take the time and bother to
remelt. And you do, that's fine.
I've found some of the bigger candles from Dollar Tree, when
I cut them with a knife, they look like a porous air fluff
kind of construction.
It's a fun and useful little hobby. Thats all, but when the lights went out
for 5 days in 2000 (Hurricane Bonnie, not noted for much except the Virginia
Beach hit just as it sped back to Cat 1 and only for power line damage). We
dont have a generator.
Had candles galore and enough to play backgammon and such or read a book at
night. Got a coleman oil lamp to suppliment it.
Thats exactly what they are, and with additives so they neither burn well,
nor remelt well. I don't know if they have any special safety factors with
that type, but I do not bother with them after the first time someone gifted
me with one.
I rather enjoy remelting. Thanks for the head up, the DT
ones don't remelt. Since candles are dangerous, my backup
lighting is battery "closet lights" from walmrt. And I do
have a couple wick style oil lamps.
There is internet legend going around about using mineral
spirits paint thinner in oil lamps. I fell for this, and
lucky didn't have any trouble. Some lamps, the tank heats
up. The fire goes critical, and some lamps have literally
exploded when they over heat. So, use ultra pure, or
keroesene. I've tried "baby oil" and that works fine, also.
The only way we leave a burning candle unattended is in a metal candle
holder in the wash basin of our windowless bathroom, during the very
occasional power outages here. Have never had a problem; but, if the
candle were to fall out of the holder, burn down and possibly set fire
to a puddle of wax etc. it would be confined to the metal wash basin.
There is a large mirror above our wash basin vanity which helps to
reflect light up and around the bathroom.
Votive candles by their very nature are designed to burn weakly for a
long time, not give light. Although many of them on say an altar can
be quite dramatic.
We had a short failure today which our local power company restored
with their usual efficiency. So out for only about 20 minutes. Thought
it was high winds. But some idiot had run into a power pole in broad
I think you're right, about the candle within the metal
basin. Safety is a good thing. You also need to consider if
other things (papers or cloth) can get bumped, and land onto
the candle and light up.
One of these days, I'll remelt some of those votives. I've
got some commercially made wick material that might work
Using some natural color paraffin, and a couple cinnamon
votives. I pulled some of the thinner wick out of the
candles. Pull the sticker off the bottom, and the wick
slides right out. Slip in the larger wicks I got from Ebay.
Now, the flame is about an inch high, and puts out useful
With votive holder glass from the dollar store, I can put a
votive in, with the larger wick. Pour paraffin around, and
that makes a "cup candle" which is much better light than a
votive. Since it's in a glass container, it makes a puddle
of wax, and burns until it's out. Unlike slim tapers, which
burn and drip.
I suppose that would depend upon *why* you are remelting the candles. If
it's only for the purpose of emergency lighting, then yes, it's probably not
worthwhile. But candlemaking as a hobby can be an art form--there is no
limit to what you can make other than the creativity of the individual.
I used to teach arts and crafts and we did candlemaking once a week. Never
had an incident.
What I've done when I want to read by a candle is to
use aluminum foil and try to fashion a crude spherical
or parabolic reflector out of it.
Real wrinkly, yes, and the shape is crude indeed, but
it works! Doubles or triples the amount of light
that hits the page.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.