Can I use the old flexible conduit?

It is a gray area. I do not have a problem with old wiring methods if they test OK but there are other guys who do not agree.

There is a distinction between "fire alarms" and "smoke detectors" It is the smoke detector that has to be on AFCIs. Yes they do need to be battery backed up.

Nothing would surprise me. The AFCI was rammed through before Cuttler Hammer even had a working unit on the market ... and they were the people who did it. One of my neighbors was consulting on the project in the late 90s. I have often asked why CPSC did not order a recall and have CH/SqD pay to replace all of those early units that were largely ineffective. The AFCI took about 3 swings to get where it is now.
On 12/23/2017 5:14 PM, Iggy wrote:

If trader's post was repeated I could tell what Iggy was talking about. But morons using HomeMoanersHub never repeat what they are responding to.

So the ground resistance back to the panel is 100 ohms. The testers use maybe 1 mA to test the ground [and other] wires. That gives a voltage drop of 0.1 V. So the ground is obviously entirely adequate for, say, a 5 amp ground current.
Plug in testers are very effective in testing whether you have a good ground connection.
It is the kind of opinion that makes everyone value the HomeMoanersHub.

A good ground impedance tester verifies <1 ohm N/G

I have an old Ecos tester. I worked out the circuit but I don't remember what ground resistance made it unhappy.
A 100 (or larger) watt light bulb is a far better ground tester than what Iggy is using.
bud-- posted for all of us...

Hey Bud, turn off the Avast ad...
--
Tekkie

On 12/26/2017 12:17 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I am annoyed by it and would love to. How do you do it??
It didn't used to appear.
On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 11:20:02 AM UTC-5, bud-- wrote:

Did you look at the settings in whatever email client you have? I would think it probably has a setting to append some line of your choice and that Avast turned it on and shoved it's ad in as the text.
bud-- wrote:

Here are the instructions for disabling the Avast signature.
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Antivirus-email-signature
On 12/23/2017 10:44 AM, Iggy wrote:

Why do you think that? Particularly in the '50s.

Best? Better than what

True for most any wiring.

So never use Romex? Did "your friend" suggest using exposed Romex?

So my house, which was originally rigid pipe, should only have rigid pipe extensions?